computer desk plus+++

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there well along with the new year resolutions, and the beginning tidy up, i want to make a new computer desk which helps me with the design work for some modelling work that i do.

i use a cad programme, but work from full size old fashioned blueprints
up to A0 size. i was thinking about a modified pedestal desk, but on top i want to put a kind of light box.

i know like them all, it might be pie in the sky, but at least if i get the data,
then who knows it might actually get built.

i think what i want is two transparent layers with a small gap between each, in to which i can slide the drawings, and beneath which is a light source. so part of the question is what to use as a light source, because we do not want too much heat in use, and secondly, the size of the light box to get rigidity over about 36x48 with a depth of say 4 to 6 inches.

Should i use glass or poly carb for the top either one or both pieces.
obviously the wooden supports will have air holes in them, should we have a fan to draw air over them?

the rest of the desk should be one pedestal with two file drawers, and the other will be for the cpu box, plus space for the printer, scanner et al.

below the light box will be a couple of drawers to take excess drawings, this should be about 6-8 inches deep. so i guess it will end up about 42 inches high, and maybe i will use a tall chair like a real draughtsman.

anyway, how about it, any bright ideas particularly about the light box??
what wood, etc.

all the best for the New Year.

paul :wink:

Sort of equipment you most probably expect to find in a drawing office?
Perhaps you could source one of these from those people who who assume control of a bankrupt business (cant think what they are called at the moment, the word escapes me)
Rover must have had a drawing office and they must have had some that would be chucked out.

PS the word has now materialised. Liquidator.

We made some light boxes using an mdf frame with glass bothsides and lit from a normal fluorescent Tube. The glass was backed with etching film to defuse the light and this aiding in reflecting the light nearly filling the whole box. It's a real pity as we binned then just before christmas.

I like the idea of placing the drawings between the glass and working over the top but you may start to find in a bit uncomfortable if your going to add drawers too. Our standard desks are 740mm high with 38mm overtops. You can get away with a 70mm drawer under that, but then the room runs out. Increasing your working high wouldn't add anymore distance between your sitting position and the finish desk height unless you want the deskheight up near your chin.

Can't you have a desk and return? Have the glass/lightbox as the working surface and the drawing drawers on the return?

What sort of sizes have you got to work to, with regards to space

Andy

thanks guys two good and sensible replies.

yes i could go to a drawing office, but where in the world do you
find them these days in this country????? :cry: :cry: :cry:

as for your suggestion andy you are right, the return is a good idea,
and makes sense. of course the other thing is that normally one would want to build a unit only 2feet deep, but with the paper size it is more
difficult, so.

as for computer sizes, in the past all of that has gone into a kitchen unit
sized item, you know 600 deep by about 600 wide, so that will be one
pedestal. i have an upright cpu box, and a 17 inch tft screen unit.
frankly the minolta colour laser is the biggest thing, but that will go in a
600 wide base unit so. it also has front paper entry and top exit.
the real pipper with all computer equipment is that there are no
standard places for cable and switch placement.

since we have a standard( :lol: :lol: ) o/s, why not more standardisation
with such things also???? laziness as usual. :cry:

all the best
paul :wink:

This would could be an idea for you.

Why not build a standard slab ended desk at say 1800x600mm deep and use this for you monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The build a mobile unit/return that fits under the desktop but will allow you to pull out when needed. This can have the lightbox as the overtop, with drawers under for your drawings and then open or concealed storage to the bottom section for your scanner / printer etc.

Again, i'm not sure on what space you have in the room but this could work well.

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

Andy

Back