compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
A little advice please i am looking for a compressor but don,t know anything about them i would only be using the compressor occasionally but when i do use her i would like to be able to run my nail gun and have enough power to blow my filters out nice and clean with out waiting for her to build up enough pressure each time like my 25 lt one what should i look for thank,s in anticipation
Alan

You just need to look for a larger compressor really, I find the bigger the volume they can get rather pricey. The other thing to consider is CFM (cubic feet per minute) this will be governed by the amount to power the motor is kicking out and how efficient your pump is, If you had three phase then this would be simple as the motors can be 5hp+ and will fill very quick,

If i where you i would join some local selling groups on Facebook and put some wanted adds as these are the sort of thing some people have kicking about there workshop, and would rather have the space.

I bought a 200l one like this, but sadly was too eager to hand over the cash, and ignored the hideous knocking sound coming from the pump, a frustrating hour of stripping the pump down revealed that the pump had given up the ghost and had some serious repairs I have never seen a short length of 1 1/4" steel rod (the shaft) so bent, or a large bearing basically disintegrated from uneven ware!

But i ended up with a large tank and beefy motor for about 60 quid so n ot to bad!

adidat

Yes single phase i have and i have been looking on lidl and aldi sites for a little idea so would a bigger 3hp give me more cfm than a 2 hp for example and a belt driven motor would be the best

With compressors bigger is better, but not to go overboard, check the specs of the things you plan
to connect to said compressor. If only now and then you need more air, an extra tank can be connected to the
one you already have.

i had a aldi 25ltr and purchased another one and connected the outputs together with a Y piece you need to look into suitable fittings (ebay or toolstation) it works great 50lts both plugged into 13amp supply no problems but double the floor space used. Its a money saver.

I bought a Wolf Dakota from UKHS, 3HP belt drive and 100 litre tub for £199. I think they are nearer £300 now but I was quite pleased with mine. A couple of points -
1. Wolf is no longer the quality brand it once was. It is now a far east import but seems OK.
2. The advertising blurb specifies pressure and CFM but never duty cycle. Mine says use for 12 start-ups per minute max, so not suitable for high consumption tools
3. Clarke seem to have a reasonable name for compressors ( and welders) unlike some of the junk badged under the Clarke name. If you go down that route, wait for a VAT free day. I saved £50 on my mig welder by waiting.

Finally, I was surprised just how useful it has been. Not used every day but great for undoing stubborn nuts with a. Impact drive, clearing blocked tractor radiator grille, cleaning filters, as well as the inevitable tyre inflating. Not a top priority tool I wouldn't want to be without it now.

K

two compressors all connected up and running i called in machine mart this afternoon for a few parts what i was most shocked with was they told me to use jubilee clips to attach the male and female to the air hose i thought there would be to much pressure anyway thank,s for the help you saved me a few quid on buying a bigger compressor
Alan

might be a stupid question i don,t know as above i have two 25 lt compressors linked up to each other connected with a t piece in the middle for the air hose so my question / ? Do i have to have the both compressors running or would the one balance the other one
??

One will fill both tanks, but keep in mind their respective duty cycles.

The advantage of running both at once is the volume of air available and there ability to maintain a good pressure at times of high demand. For jubilee clips to work well the pipe should be a good fit on the spigot and if its long it may be possible to use two.

Back