Compressor tyre inflators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I have a tyre inflator as shown but it’s almost impossible to seal against the valve and I end up letting most of the air out before finding a position where the seal is good enough so I can get more air in than it lets out. Looking in the end there doesn’t appear to be much if any rubber seal there. Has something dropped out?

Anyone recommend a replacement end style as the rest of the gun is fine?
4D5E525D-6198-48A0-97D9-E03DABEA6023.jpeg
E42E2B54-A6A9-43E9-AB51-51AB7787BF0C.jpeg

You usually have to push those one quite hard to get a good seal the the little gripper is prone to damaging the valve threads. I much prefer the screw on type and gave up using my "gun" like this a few years ago in favour of my 12v inflator.

always a problem, on mine there is a retained rubber "O" ring.....but u still have to push it on tight....
the only type that works well are the prof sort at £50 plus each......I just push a little harder....hahaha

I have never been able to get a decent seal with the type in the first post. Even the professional type that you get on garage air lines are hard to use with a foot or a vertical hand pump. All mine converted to the type with a flip handle to lock, like you get on a foot pump.
I now use a battery powered air pump similar to a battery drill.

When we had the workshop I tried a cheapie - ended up buying a PCL (pro one) which was far better. As others say, though, not cheap

Several years ago after only using a supermarket air machine to add air to my tyres, one valve got damaged. Unfortunately it had a TPMS. It cost me £88 at a Vauxhall dealer to get a new valve replacement on. Beware what you use if you have a TPMS!
HTH

So many of these are problematic - and it's even worse with cycle tyres as the presta valves are more delicate.

Ignore the negative feedback as the advert is misleading as it refers to a compressor and not the stuff in the picture, but I have these as part of an Aria Compressor kit and it works pretty well on normal shrader as well as TPMS valves:

KIT PER ARIA COMPRESSA - 5 PEZZI - BLACK & DECKER - KIT PER COMPRESSORE : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

To be honest though, the screw on ones which come with 12V compressors work far better than most clip on air lines. The Continental compressor that comes with the mobility kit in my car is excellent and so easy to connect to the valve.

Thanks for the info and ideas, I’ve cut off the current connector and ordered a PCL version to fit the hose for £10. Hopefully that will improve things. I’ll report back.

I would say that the screw on type are fairly good but are at times a bit of a pain to screw on, and I dont think the actual threadson the valves are up to much either perhaps designed to take a plastic cap and offer a grip to the regular clip on adapter. Our elderly Saab has leaking alloy wheels, the bead is corroded and no amount of tyre sealant lasts, one wheel is particulary bad and needs blowing up at least weekly, useing the screw on type adapter Ive found that the valve thread is wearing away, Ive reverted to the lever type but on that valve its now reluctant to grip. I also think that it can appear that you are loosing more air than your putting in when trying to get the adapter on but I wonder if it just sounds more dramatic than it actually is?
Btw beware the “Twin Cylinder” Tyre compressors advertised on ebay, mines a Camel Brand, and the 2nd cylinder is an empty plastic shell!
FD2269A0-2C06-4215-961D-DC3FD4337512.jpeg

Looks like you've found your solution, this may help others.
I bought a "tyre valve extender" for a few quid off the Internet and connect my inflator to that, it would avoid the hassle and expense of damaging your valve. Jester129 £88!! ☹️ I feel your pain.
I have the Draper hand held inflator like mrpercysnodgrass above, its screw on fitting gives a good seal and doesn't need a mains supply.
My solution to keep my borehole water supply up to pressure.

So the PCL adapter arrived today, works a treat. The part that locks onto the thread is about 5 threads wide so locks on really firmly. The adapter is also a good fit onto the valve stem and seals without any effort. The only downside is the crimp is not as neat as the barrel type crimp originally fitted.

C203F170-D8B9-40D4-A184-B6085517A9E1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back