Compressor terminology and advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I wasn't planning on covering it as such, just building it into the bottom of a shelving/cupboard unit, as that style is better shaped for this.
The noise I'm also not that concerned about, we have one at work for running an aircraft engine wash rig, and I can't believe any are louder than that.

My main quiery at the moment is the other parts of the spec and making sure I don't buy something not up to the job in terms of PSI, Watts(power), tank volume and free air CFM. Has anyone got either of these and are they up to the job in peoples experience/thoughts (the manufactureres idea might be different to the end users)
They are

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP06254.html

and

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /BOSSFCRC6

Thoughts please

Mark

RobertMP":2pqnw0nk said:
For hobby use I'd disagree with that :)

You certainly don't want an in line oiler (a device that puts a mist of oil in the air) for spraying. The main point is to stop the tool going rusty from the moisture in the air. I just spray some WD40 into the air inlet hole on the tool before use and have not had any problems. You could do the same with proper air tool oil if preferred.

Using a tool every day it does make sense to have in line lubrication.

The oil isn't there to prevent rust - it is to lubricate the air motors\mechanisms. A tool run without oil will have a drastically shortened life compared to one that has been correctly oiled. If having oil mist in the air is an issue - then I would suggest a mini-oiler is used on the end of the air tool. These are several £.

I'm not really saying it is a bad idea just not essential.

We had a factory full of air tools and no in line lube for all but one of them. None of them wore out in use but they did seize up if unused for a month or so. The oil mist comes out of the tools exhaust with the used air and contaminates the product if you were wondering why no oilers :)

The Bear":td9xji5n said:
Hi
Has anyone got either of these and are they up to the job in peoples experience/thoughts (the manufactureres idea might be different to the end users)
They are

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP06254.html

and

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /BOSSFCRC6

Thoughts please

Mark

I have a Bostitch very similar to the one shown, it will be excellent for nailing I even used mine to run a framing nailer 3.5" clipped nails to build my workshop extension and it coped fine, I also use it to run a touch up spray gun without problems...

Once you have one you'll wonder how you did without it!

Just to follow up on my Bambi suggestion...
It was delivered this morning and I had a quick play tonight in the cold cold garage...
It was quite happy driving 50mm 18g brads through oak, MDF & pine.
Couln't test my blow gun as I forgot the airline connector for it though :oops:
And boy, is it quiet :)

You should get a regulator as standard on most compressors, even the cheap ones. You won't get a filter though as standard though. Filters and lubricators clean the air, essential for spraying.

If you go for a HVLP system ( i would recommend Apollo Bambi HVLP sprayers) then you won't have much left from your budget for a compressor, unless you get a dirt cheap/second hand one for about £100.

The SIP and AXi units will be noisey, read the last review on the axi page.

I would recommend spending £150-£200 on a HVLP sprayer. That will work really well and do the spraying job perfectly. Then look again at getting a £250 compressor later if you can wait.

Other option is to push your budget to £300 and get a decent compressor that will handle spraying and tool work.

Note, HP ratings on compressors are deceptive. Best to stick with CFM (Free Air Deliveried) every time. Simple, find out the CFM of the tool and check the CFM of the compressor is higher than that. If you only have the CFM (displacement figure) the CFM (free air) is always less than the theoretical about 1/3 is a good measure from a quality manufactuer. So 10 CFM (displacement) = 6 CFM (free air deliveired).

I hope that helps.

Back