Compressor query re. air grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not finding what I'm looking for in Search so if this has been tackled before I apologise.

What I did find was an earlier thread that discusses these air grinders for piercing

post591700.html?hilit=compressor#p591700

but there's no particular comment in that thread about compressor size and capacity - nor what I was really after is whether the cheapish machines from Clark, Lidl/Aldi, etc are advisable. The grinder is specced at 4cfm and ~100psi.

Rob

Rob

A quick rule of thumb is that for each 1 HP of motor you get 3cfm available air. For an air grinder I'd suggest the biggest tank you can get as well.

Thanks Mark - that's the sort of guidance I was seeking; the tank is a fairly obvious one. I do have a couple of out-of-date scuba tanks which might be worth linking in; not that much volume but if I find a small tanked compressor cheap, it's an idea.

Rob

Would the HP not dictate the size of tank ? I have a 25lt tank on mine noy sure what the HP is will look to morrow .

Back