Compressor Hose Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if it's OT.. Talking of air hoses, are they all specified by internal diameter?
Air nailer, blower, tyre blower-upper etc, all Machine mart, are these typically 3/8" or ...
Interested in making up my own lengths, any websites for 'bits' please?
Yes - I/D

I bought a PCL air hose in a retractable cassette last year, brilliant piece of kit, it's fixed to a wall at head height, so it's out of the way of everything. The best of it was that it was on a special offer of about 1/2 retail price. Remember air tools should have a shortt 'pigtail' hose directly attached before the airline connector.

Why? None of mine do, nobody I’ve seen has that. I would certainly never have that on a spray gun as it would be prone to knocking the wet finish.
It's aka 'anti-whip'. Air tools are prone to vibration which can lead to the QR coupling disconnecting, & the airline 'whipping'. This does not apply to spray guns. Having worked for 40yrs in the motor trade I know all about vibration of air tools (and lately of vibration from sanders), hence my suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Stuart:cry:

My air tools are nailers and spray gun, so not prone to vibration, presumably this is more of an issue for impact wrenches and the like?
I should imagine so, but I've put a pigtail on my nailer ,more so to keep the PCL coupler away from the workpiece.

A section of flex hose sounds like a good idea on the end of a stiff one to make life easier for the user. HVLP spray guns running off a turbine have obnoxious thick awkward hoses so this concept is common there. Look at the Fuji. I've seen lengths of "whip hose" for sale from air hose vendors, but it doesn't mean anti whip as in flailing around, it means whippy as in more flexible.
I'm not convinced about the whip check argument. QR fittings have the advantage that they can swivel. Surely a threaded connection under repeated vibration is as likely to unscrew as a QR is to shake loose ? There are some very high quality QR connectors out there if you pay for them.
Incidentally, if you work with serious high pressure hose in hydraulics, water pressure testing etc. A "whip check" is a flex steel wire usually with spring closure nooses at both ends. This is fitted to the ends of two hoses being joined together. In case the joint fails, it stops the hose end flailing uncontrollably and killing someone.

This is what I use, it’s perfect for a workshop. 10m retractable. The hose is 10mm poly, very flexible, but doesn't snag or kink. There’s one available brand new on eBay here probably get it for £30 and it is already fitted with euro connectors.
40C1973A-C2CD-4755-BF6F-63143AFDC47A.jpeg

It's aka 'anti-whip'. Air tools are prone to vibration which can lead to the QR coupling disconnecting, & the airline 'whipping'. This does not apply to spray guns. Having worked for 40yrs in the motor trade I know all about vibration of air tools (and lately of vibration from sanders), hence my suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Stuart:cry:
This seems a little more understandable, however with my air tools, disclosure none are large impact wrenches, spray guns, nail guns, die grinders and a small impact driver, I have never had a QR coupling disconnect. The air hoses are all very flexible, only the interconnection between compressor and air filter is of a more rigid hose.

It is certainly possible that the QR coupling disconnect used here is better than the one used in the U.K. (as in doesn’t disconnect)

Also since the tool has the male coupling and the hose the female the air would shut off on disconnect so no whipping of the hose.

Back