Compressor connector help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my first compressor and I'm aware that the output connections can adhere to several different standards: Euro, PCL, Quick. Unfortunately, the supplied manual is in Spanish (it's a Cevik Pro 12) and my queries to the supplier and manufacturer have either been ignored or generated somewhat inconclusive responses: "fast connector is male threaded ¼". If by "fast" they mean "Quick" then the threaded bit has thrown me since this is what the connector looks like and it's a female positive coupling interface, not a thread:

conn1.JPG

conn2.JPG

Could someone please unequivocally identify the standard or specification to which the above female connector conforms as I'm trying to avoid buying accessories with incompatible connectors?

Thanks,
Chris

The connectors are easily changed and cheap to buy, so you can pretty much choose the ones you like and stick with them, no matter what comes with the compressor or the tools. Tool Mart, for instance, sell them loose for very little.

Personally i would suggest replacing the coupling on the compressor with a PCL coupling and then standardising all your other connectors and couplings on your hoses and tools with the same profile.

Thats a euro quick couple. The thread on the back of it that fits to the regulator will be 1/4 bsp tapered male.

Pcl are slightly better as they have a ball release valve that lets the pressure out the fitting on disconnect so it doesnt fly off.

Either is fine. A trip to screwfix is in order.

I have an adapter so i can run either.

Thank you Novocaine!

You have saved me from getting my calipers out to measure bores, collar diameter/offsets, and insertion depths.

For whomever stumbles across this thread in future facing the same challenge as me: PCL is a UK based manufacturer of air line fittings who produce their 'traditional quick coupling' which is commonly referred to as just 'PCL' and is typically found on air tools manufactured in the UK. Euro couplings are a more international standard and the male fitting is much shorter/stubbier than the male PCL fitting. However, PCL [the manufacturer] also produces a clone of the Euro fittings which are, rather unhelpfully, called PCL XF.

So much for standardisation!

Pcl xf dont fit a euro couple either.

Dont ask.

Most cheap air tools come with euro fittings. Decent stuff comes with nothing.

Dont forget the ptfe tape.

Sat here thinking because i ran a fixed line for my big compressor in the workshop today. Dont try to remove that coupling unless you are feeling brave. Most likely its been overtightened and the regulator body will snap when you do.

It happened on my small compressor. A new regulator is dirt cheap in that style luckily.

Although both 1/4" bsp you will find the euro connector has a larger bore than pcl. If using tools that have high consumption rate the euro is better at supplying air., HVLP sprayguns and impact guns do work better with the larger bore. I use air tools daily and nothing flies off one another if you hold the tools properly when disconnecting :roll:

Back