Compression Springs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a jig where I have an M8 bolt that is used as a micro adjuster to raise and lower a corner of table (there are actually 4, one for each corner of the square table). It works great, but the bolt can rotate with vibration, and is insecure.

I'm wanting to use a very strong compression type spring to hold the adjustment in place and allow for easier fine tuning without having to secure a second nut (which is fiddly and often adjusts things slightly)

Does anyone have a link to a suitable spring I would used for this? as mentioned, I want it to be really strong so that you have to use a bit of force to compress it., and so should hold the adjustment securely.

I've had a look on ebay, and they seem to be extremely pricey, around £3-4 each! .. so am hoping someone can point me to something a little cheaper that will do the job.

I figure there must be hardware kits like below made for the purpose.

Also, I am guessing I can't use loctite for this task?

Oh and I can't use a blue lock nut on the receiving end as the receiving end is a threaded insert

Cylinder%20Trunnion%20Bolt%20&%20Spring%20Set.png

Can you get hold of some piano wire/spring steel wire around 2mm diameter? You could wind your own springs from this.

Surely if I could do that, they wouldn't hold their "springyness"?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Would a spring washer allow you enough adjustment? £1.01 per hundred from Toolstation.

Spring Washer.jpg

Attachments

• Spring Washer.jpg
    Spring Washer.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 355
transatlantic said:
Surely if I could do that, they wouldn't hold their "springyness"?

Yes they will if made with spring steel wire/rod. I've recently wound several custom springs using a 5mm diam mandrel and .5 up to 1.0mm wire.

I could make you some if you let me know the inside diameter and the compressed and uncompressed lengths you expect. I'm in France though and the post is taking up to 2 weeks to the UK at the moment.

alexalexander":11uj9gcw said:
I could make you some if you let me know the inside diameter and the compressed and uncompressed lengths you expect. I'm in France though and the post is taking up to 2 weeks to the UK at the moment.

Thank you for the offer, but I have now ordered some from Amazon.

What about getting ones from pop up umbrellas?
I used to collect them whilst walking the pooches, on windy nights in town they'd
be many of them half stuffed into the bins.

There are at least two types or gauges for want of a better word.
The smaller longer type probably be what your after, and you could make a few with one.

Tom

Back