• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Compression Springs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Reaction score
I'm making a jig where I have an M8 bolt that is used as a micro adjuster to raise and lower a corner of table (there are actually 4, one for each corner of the square table). It works great, but the bolt can rotate with vibration, and is insecure.

I'm wanting to use a very strong compression type spring to hold the adjustment in place and allow for easier fine tuning without having to secure a second nut (which is fiddly and often adjusts things slightly)

Does anyone have a link to a suitable spring I would used for this? as mentioned, I want it to be really strong so that you have to use a bit of force to compress it., and so should hold the adjustment securely.

I've had a look on ebay, and they seem to be extremely pricey, around £3-4 each! .. so am hoping someone can point me to something a little cheaper that will do the job.

I figure there must be hardware kits like below made for the purpose.

Also, I am guessing I can't use loctite for this task?

Oh and I can't use a blue lock nut on the receiving end as the receiving end is a threaded insert

alexalexander

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you get hold of some piano wire/spring steel wire around 2mm diameter? You could wind your own springs from this.

Reaction score
Surely if I could do that, they wouldn't hold their "springyness"?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

finish_that

Established Member
Reaction score
This is not a plug for a company I worked for nearly 40 years ago , but they are still going and have springs from stock of all kinds + a lot of info about them

https://www.leespring.co.uk/uk_compress ... hat=Search

They may be expensive but they did used to cater for small orders and I doubt there is any other company that has so many different sizes/types from stock.

alexalexander

Established Member
Reaction score
transatlantic said:
Surely if I could do that, they wouldn't hold their "springyness"?

Yes they will if made with spring steel wire/rod. I've recently wound several custom springs using a 5mm diam mandrel and .5 up to 1.0mm wire.

alexalexander

Established Member
Reaction score
I could make you some if you let me know the inside diameter and the compressed and uncompressed lengths you expect. I'm in France though and the post is taking up to 2 weeks to the UK at the moment.

Reaction score
alexalexander":11uj9gcw said:
I could make you some if you let me know the inside diameter and the compressed and uncompressed lengths you expect. I'm in France though and the post is taking up to 2 weeks to the UK at the moment.
Thank you for the offer, but I have now ordered some from Amazon.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
What about getting ones from pop up umbrellas?
I used to collect them whilst walking the pooches, on windy nights in town they'd
be many of them half stuffed into the bins.

There are at least two types or gauges for want of a better word.
The smaller longer type probably be what your after, and you could make a few with one.

Tom