Compressed Air Fittings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a jig I've used for years for cutting circles and ellipses, I'm comfortable using it and confident in the results. I have a job coming up where it would be useful to have a vacuum clamp facility for this jig.

Good news is that the jig manufacturer does exactly the vacuum clamp I need. Bad news is that they're American and the compressed air connection will be to a North American spec.

I'm pretty clueless about compressed air connections, so I don't know if this isn't really a problem as there are adaptors widely available, or if it's a giant can of worms to be avoided at all costs.

Here's my compressor and the line out connections,

Comp-Air-Connection.jpg

And here's the business end of the vacuum clamp it needs to connect to,

Vac Centre MF.jpg

I am sure someone on here did a really good FYI type sticky thread about air connectors earlier this year or late last year. Had all the different types etc. I had a quick search gary but can't seem to find it. Anyone else remember this

If I remember rightly Yours is a PCL, the USA one will probably be an ‘industrial’ fitting.
You’ll be able to get a threaded adaptor to change the vacuum assembly to PCL.
Or a short piece of hose with an adapter each end, whatever suits the situation best.

If I remember rightly Yours is a PCL, the USA one will probably be an ‘industrial’ fitting.
Or a short piece of hose with an adapter each end, whatever suits the situation best.

Male Snap End A Airline Fittings top item I think. Under usual circumstances, machine mart are pretty good and I would take in the item and try the fitting.

if MM aren't local, any stocker of airline fittings should have these. You could probably borrow one from another air tool that you have if necessary.

I changed the fixed hoses some of my equipment with quick disconnect fittings from PCL. I also changed all of the fittings on my U.S. pneumatic equipment with locally purchased fittings so they would be compatible with my European compressor and lines.

Changing the fittings is easy if you can determine the hose or threaded fitting diameter.

Thanks for the comments.

Has anyone any idea where I'd get the adaptor/short piece of hose with an adaptor each end?

Also, looking at the two photos I originally posted can anyone positively identify both my connector (the Bambi compressor) and the American connector (the vacuum centre assembly)?

Don't worry too much about it.
The parts you will need will be readily available and pretty cheap.
That PCL quick release end fitted to the American gizmo is a standard in the UK too and higher flow than the ones on your hose.
It may be easier to get a new hose with PCL fittings and just change the male end to fit your compressor. Under £20 all up to do that I would expect.

The very first google link I clicked on has all the styles on the first page ...
https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/pneumatic/quick-release-couplers-adaptorsIf you get QR fittings with a barbed hosetail, you can just push it into your hose and secure with a jubilee clip.

Last edited:
Here is a possible replacement for the quick disconnect fitting on the Bambi. This is for a 3/8-inch threaded fitting.

https://www.pclairtechnology.com/xf-male-coupling-socket-ac71em

This 1/4-inch adapter looks like it might fit on the vacuum clamp.

https://www.pclairtechnology.com/xf-male-adaptor-plug-aa7102

From here, you can buy a hose with Euro-style fittings on the ends, or make your own hose with these fittings. Assuming you have a 6mm inner diameter, these will work:

https://www.pclairtechnology.com/xf-hose-tailpiece-coupling-socket-ac7106
https://www.pclairtechnology.com/xf-6mm-hose-tailpiece-adaptor-plug-aa7110
You will also need clamps for the hose fittings.

Your only minor problem may be that the American thing has a different thread. In which case you may not just be able to swap the male. I've never encountered this with the air tools I've bought from the states though, and, if it is the case, I guess leave the xf in place and make an adapter.

Or better still, change all your kit to xf.

even in theStates they use BSP.....it's a world standard......
I've worked on machines from all over the world BSP is the name of the game.....
Even the xuddy French use BSP but they don't list it as such....
the top fitting is a PCL and the lower is a Euro fitting....
the short air line ur after is called a flying lead.....available from eBay, with or without quick connectors.....
obviuosly u will need to knbow the diameter of the pipe u rec.....mostley 6-8-10mm for our kinda use......

as an add on, Inever licked the PCL fittings, to small diameters for high air flow so bought the only stuff available which came from Sweden...
after years and years of everyday service they started to get worn out......
as a trial I bought some from Ldil......almost as good as the Swedish ones I had.....
They are very good and now for the last 5 years there have been no failures....

sigh...I'm the latest victim of this pain in the rear. Why can't someone just standardize this farce or at least have a web page that lists all the different types with their EXACT dimensions. All this " oh yeah,that'll be a euro fitting" without any reference to sizes that can be measured is getting on one's breasts !!

Most US air tools come with an NPT (American National Pipe Thread) fitting, often 3/8in NPT female for first fix nailers, etc. You really need an adaptor, something like a 3/8in NPTM x 1/2in BSPF (British Standard Pipe Fitting) to convert to British threads, which most UK connectors use. The BSP threads are parallel, the NPT is often tapered and the thread count is slightly different on any given size The PCL fitting shown above is an XZN or ""Euro" fitting (compatiblevwith designs such as the CEJN 310) and should be referred to as such because a "PCL" fitting is generally taken to be the older more restricted 1930s design still popular in garages. They are incompatible. Do not mix quick couplers as they can blow off and that is potentially dangerous.

Last edited:
Back