Compound sliding mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

Established Member
Reaction score
After many years I would like to get back to doing some carpentry so i have been out and purchased some wood all ready cut to length to build my bench but.....
I would like to purchase a compound sliding mitre saw ....have no use yet for the compound mitre as yet but thinking (and building ) into the future lol

have looked at a few on the bay and have noticed quite a few makes called Sip seem to appear quite often but usualy to far away to collect to make them viable if you know what i mean

now as a newbee would like to get the best i can for £150 are these saws any good or can you guys recommend a decent saw in my price range

mant thanks

Dave

I have an Evolution Fury 3, its by no means a pro saw but it served me well. Added bonus it cuts through anything with the same blade. You can pick them up reasonably cheap. If you do get a compound mitre saw just be sure to make sure you set the fence to 90 to the blade before use.

I've the same conundrum dave can't wait for what peeps advise.

I do know that the only place to go for blades is tuffsaws though.

Cheers

Smudge

Just looked on bay for evo fury 3 ...can see some but they are 100 miles away lol

I like to pay cash and see what i am getting

Dave :O)

got so wrapped up in looking on the bay ....forgot to look in the obvious places doh

thanks undergroundhunter ......of to M&M and B&Q on saturday to see what the got

Dave :O)

I have a Hitach 10" scms

51AFKMBGYPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and am very happy with it. I did test the 8" version at the time of purchase

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-HITC8 ... 2011wt_982

and apart from it being nosier (direct drive & not belt drive like the 10" version), it was fine, had I had less to spend.

HIH

Dibs

I recently bought a Metabo KGS216 for £168 after my Axminster QMS254I packed in. I spent days researching the best option for a limited budget which lead me to the Metabo. Feels pretty solid, trenching facility, laser guild et. I replaced the trenching screw wihich was a bit rubbish with a better, longer thumb bolt. Also fitted a new, finer blade and it's cutting lovely. Has a good cutting capacity too with an 8" blade.

My advice is get the best saw you can afford, the blade it's supplied with (usually 24T and not negative rake) is the first thing to change, and above all, as stated

undergroundhunter
Post subject: Re: Compound sliding mitre saw
If you do get a compound mitre saw just be sure to make sure you set the fence to 90 to the blade before use.

That's one of the biggest sources of frustration with the cheaper Far Eastern models ...
I have a Rexon SCMS I'm still battling with...

go somewhere where you can have a look and test would be great, and take a square!

Cheers!

SteveB43":2yuxkv1g said:
My advice is get the best saw you can afford, the blade it's supplied with (usually 24T and not negative rake) is the first thing to change, and above all, as stated

undergroundhunter
Post subject: Re: Compound sliding mitre saw
If you do get a compound mitre saw just be sure to make sure you set the fence to 90 to the blade before use.

What blade would you recommend then ....i know you will say it depends on what you are cutting ....but a general purpose blade i would assume that fits the bill

thanks

Dave

it does... :)

What blade would you recommend then ....i know you will say it depends on what you are cutting

but the nub of the issue to me, is to get the bright shiny new tool out of it's box and use it, get to know it's capabilities and pitfalls, key for me is will it do what it needs to do & cut square!!,
Axminster do a negative rake 80t blade, or have a look at blades from places like Atkinson Walker the pro trade ones..
then there's places like ITS London that do cheaper versions that will help you with inital set up. This is assuming inital set up includes replacing the supplied blade.
If your cutting softwood for framing say, you might get away with a 24t, but those are the blades usually supplied with a table saw. At least a 40t in my opinion, and if you want a smooth a cut as possible in hardwod, your up to the 80t.

Part of the problem with my Rexon is the holes drilled in the base for the fence are out of square, and there is a fair degree of play when tightening the angle locking lever to the required angle. At 90 deg for example, I get 1-2 degree of movement, (Maybe that's why the holes are out of alignment :roll: )

Good luck with your choice, let us know how you got on...

Cheers!

I think I'm gonna go with the jet f36-258db. Its a gnats over £200 in kendaltools with 3 year guarantee. Which ain't bad.

Seems like its not ready to go from factory though. Needs a wee bit of fettlin. But for that price seems like a fair compromise.

Smudge

Could not find jet ......but found Fox f36-258db so i assume they are the same ?

different badge

can you let me know how you get on with it just need to save another £50 lol

thanks Dave

Sorry i mean fox. I was lookin at both and got confused. Oops!

I'll keep you posted

Smudge

Latest posts

Back