compound mitre saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I tried this once but it seems that post has gone away.
I am looking a for a good quality mitre saw, one like the bosch that slides out on multiple joints because I dont have space for a full on slider.

I cant afford festool prices, but at the same time am not interested in bargain basement stuff.

Any suggestions please?

The Bosch you mention is £250+ more than Festool KS60 & not a great deal cheaper than than the KS 120 though all 3 will go against the back wall

I am also thinking of buying the Bosch " knuckled " one but are they very good? Does anyone who has owned one for a while have much to say about accuracy,reliability etc.They are expensive but if they are good I think going that extra mile is worth it.Also can anyone tell me the height of the base I may have to remake my chop saw station that I built for my Makita chop saw.

I don't own one buy several of the YouTube folk I watch have and love it. Actually bought it and not just given it.

You can guarantee the bed height will be different.

I cant find one for sale in the UK. Maybe they are USA market only? I have found that the knuckle system is bosch patented though.

I only want the 10" version so that the blades can be interchanged with the table saw, and my bench space is very limited.

I watched one comparison video and the guy hated the festool for the simple reason the switch was on the top of the handle and you have to bend your hand up and over at an unnatural angle to reach it. Only a niggle I know, but I am at the stage where I wont be buying another of these so I want the easiest to use that I can get for my arthritic fingers.

I was hoping to get change from £500, maybe I'm a tad optimistic at that?

I can only see a 12" one with the knuckle in the UK. Don't even know if they make a 10". It's £800!

Have you considered just using a sliding one that you then put on slides so that you can push it back when not in use and just pull forward and lock in place when you need it?

Have a look at the Makita LS1019 if 260mm is enough capacity for you, the sales blurb sales it has bigger capacity than the usual 260mm saws. It's what i'll replace my Bosch Blue 216mm saw with one day.....

I dont have a mitre saw, but isn't the required rake of the blade different between that and a table saw so blades are not interchangeable?

800 is definitely too much. 600 would be pushing the envelope.

Yes, sliding saws have negative rake (I believe) to stop the wood moving about. But as its just me, and I'm the most careful man I know, its an option I fancy.

I have nowhere to put a conventional sliding mitre saw.End of story.
Looks like I'm out of luck. :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":3m905b15 said:
800 is definitely too much. 600 would be pushing the envelope.

Yes, sliding saws have negative rake (I believe) to stop the wood moving about. But as its just me, and I'm the most careful man I know, its an option I fancy.

I have nowhere to put a conventional sliding mitre saw.End of story.
Looks like I'm out of luck. :roll: :roll:
Bob, I assume since you have space to put the big bosch you would have room for a stowed standard sliding one?

You could easily mount one on some a base and that on some drawer slides and just pull it out as and when needed.

Not space for a 12".
I only have a single garage. I have three machines in a line along one wall and they all have to get along with each other if I am routing or bandsawing a long piece of wood. Any large machine with superstructure that sticks out will prevent that.

'Er indoors wouldnt think much of that, it would come out at ankle height half way up the stairs. :shock: :shock:
Not the best way of starting negotiations for a new machine. :roll: :roll:

I have the articulated Bosch GMC12 plus its mobile rack. Excellent saw but spendy. I have never seen another articulated saw. There is little real difference on overall bulk between a 12" saw and say an 8". I actually needed the 12" capacity. Obviously with a smaller blade its ability to do deep compound mitre cuts is materially less.

If I were just making small stuff, I would probably get the Festool Kapex (maybe used). I have used them and they are very easy to use and accurate. The mitre tilt adjustment is definitely easier to use than the Bosch.

However - I also have an Elu 8" chop saw that is still going strong after nearly 30 years. What makes a really big difference with any chop saw is careful set up and especially a good quality blade.

Dust extraction is invariably difficult, but if you can use it then it improves the cut quality I think.

First one of the Bosch that I ever saw was in an Axminster showroom a few years ago.
I know one place that have had one for 2 or 3 years since they were fairly new on the market. It was replaced under warranty as I recall for some fault but the replacement has been fine. Nice saw.

Bosch do make a 10 inch version of the glide saw but do not make a 240v version for U.K., no idea why? I would buy one if they did.

Sunnybob I saw this and thought of you given your situation.

https://woodworkjunkie.com/diy-folding- ... small-shop

His mitre saw folds down out of the way when not in use. In the end he adapted it and put it, a table saw and a router into a moving workbench and it still folds away.

This article is just him putting it in a normal workbench along a wall just as you have.

Thats pretty neat being able to get rid of a compound saw, but I cant even do that because there are shelves and cupboards under all my stuff with no where else to put it all. :roll:

sunnybob":2r3y4ukl said:
Thats pretty neat being able to get rid of a compound saw, but I cant even do that because there are shelves and cupboards under all my stuff with no where else to put it all. :roll:
Ah ha! He has another option for you there! Some ceiling storage bins that fold down when you need them. He uses his for stuff he need to keep but rarely actually needs I put a thread in the general section about it.

Latest posts

Back