Compound cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just made 3 pieces of coving for the top of a wardrobe but am struggling with the calculations of the compound cuts. I have been online to use a compound cut calculater but it's not making ant sense to me at the moment. Can anyone help please? The rise is 97mm and the run 54mm and the angle coming out from the wardrobe is 30°. TIA.

Can't you just bodge up a mitre box to match the wardrobe, and cut to that? Just a few bits of 4x2 nailed to a board?

I have never worked out the compound cut calculation thing, I have always got away with standing stuff up (or upside down) in the way it's going to be fitted and mitring it if that makes sense?

Like others I have never had a need to get a calculator out, presumably the front and sides of the wardrobe are at right angles to each other? and the wardrobe isn’t shaped like a pyramid? So it should be relatively straightforward as Doug just said put the bits of wood as they will be and cut them like that, and if you’re using a an electric mitre saw do be careful and cramp them down. Ian

Put your cornice on your saw so the back is flat against the fence and the cornice is at an angle of 30 degrees to the mitre saw table.

Then cut at 45 degrees.

Back