Completing a project.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I built this..... and decided I'd enter it...

original.jpg

large.jpg

Mine are the bottom jars almost going off picture... (thats a different class though)

large.jpg

large.jpg

8)

Adam, looks good.....well almost, as there's only 2 images and 2 red Xs. The certificate and the label. Maybe me?

Noel

Noely":wpacfdz5 said:
Adam, looks good.....well almost, as there's only 2 images and 2 red Xs. The certificate and the label. Maybe me?

Noel

Yes its you, :wink: or one of the proxies between you and where the files are. :x
I had to right clip and select show picture on two of them, they then loaded OK :D

Hmm, I've noticed their is something going on with pbase.com tonight - it's slightly intermittent.

Try these instead...

original.jpg

medium.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Does that work at all?

Adam

Thanks Dave but refreshed and the two images slowly glided into view.
More to the point, very good display stand Adam. Congratulations.
As an aside, heard an item recently on how organised crime are cashing in on the world honey market, basically flogging jars of honey but not quite using the correct labels to describe the contents. And a further point was that there is enough honey production in the UK to supply the home market but due to greed and lack of market strategy imports (dodgy and otherwise) will continue.
Anyway enough waffle, congratulations again.

Noel

Noely":2x2mbgfk said:
As an aside, heard an item recently on how organised crime are cashing in on the world honey market, basically flogging jars of honey but not quite using the correct labels to describe the contents. Noel

Basically UK honey fetches a premium over foreign honey - mostly due to the tigher regulations we adhere to (e.g. no organo-phosphate based insecticide like the US for example). Chinese honey has just returned to the world market after a while away due to the large amount of antibiotics found in it.

There's someone in Brighton pulling this scam - importing Argentinian honey and relabeling as "Sussex Honey". I don't have all the details - so can't actually report to trading standards. It doesn't really affect me as I'm only doing this as a "hobby".

I think in all sectors of the food industry cheap-nasty-chemically-tainted foods are relabelled as "Produce of the UK" as it's effectively "free" money for the crooks.

Anyway, back to the stand - it was knocked up really quick - not much too it - a few miller dowels and a dab of danish oil and it was finished. It helped my cumulative points total enough to walk away with the Reigate cup. Quite an upset for a "beginner". :D

Adam

Nice one Adam - first prize in any class is quite an achievment.

My mum put the box i made for her into the local village craft show and it got second :oops: Should have found time to inlay the mahogany in the lid :D

Nice one Adam. This has got my taste buds going. How do you dispose of the honey? I mean do you retail it locally - farmer's markets etc.

Andy

dedee":2h73ozi3 said:
Nice one Adam. This has got my taste buds going. How do you dispose of the honey? I mean do you retail it locally - farmer's markets etc.

Andy

I only got going this year - so no sales as yet - only the closest family members got a drop! The retired guys in the club sell at a farmers market - and for a very nominal fee - will sell yours also.

Adam

Meant to come back to this when I had time to wait for the pics but forgot. :oops:

Nice stand- unusual. Any particular inspiration for it? And excellent to hoick a cup out from under the old stalwarts' noses. :D

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":m034g7k6 said:
Adam,

Well done indeed! How did you make the walnut disks the jars stand on?

This was the first use of the new lathe. Despite having not touched a lathe since age 14 at school - I headed straight in with a production item rather than a test piece, well kind of - this stand was in itself a test piece, trying out the new spokeshaves, the bandsaw and the lathe. Anyway - it turned out OK. No idea what I'm going to do with it now - the idea is to display my honey on it at the farmers market - so I need to build a box of somekind so I can drop it off, along with say 20 jars - and they can set up without me.

I've already got next years item worked out 8) I think something similar, but spiralling up round a central column should do the trick!!!

Adam

Latest posts

Back