Completed Project Shocker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
A very unusual event has happened-I have completed a project! :shock:
After seemingly forever in the making I have completed a Barrister's Bookcase in Elm. Take a look at some (bad) pictures.....

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/bar ... lbumlist=2

I started this one in January (yes,this year :lol: ) and put the finishing touches on yesterday. It just about takes my collection of woody books. The missus did have her eye on it but was unable to come up with a suitable place to put it. So it now lives in "my" room. (i.e. the spare room!)
The timber was purchased from Yandles, and came with free woodworm. there are a variety of tracks and holes scattered around the lovingly handplaned surfaces. It was finished with 3 coats of danish oil and a couple of coats of wax. The elm looks great (IIDSSM :D ) A novel feature is the way the doors open-they lift up then slide back into the case.
All in all, I enjoyed making this project. I wish it didn't take so long that's all! :lol:
regards,
Philly :D

Thanks Guys!
Just wanted to add, there are two pages of photo's in the album. Click the pointer at the top of the page to go to page two. (would'nt want you to miss out on anything :lol: )
Cheers

Philly":xjyodzhx said:
Thanks Guys!
Just wanted to add, there are two pages of photo's in the album. Click the pointer at the top of the page to go to page two. (would'nt want you to miss out on anything :lol: )
Cheers

Yeah yeah, not that stupid thankyou. :oops: Had a look through - 'tis an interesting project.

Woaa Philly this was well worth the time spent on it. I really like the wood, the oil gives it such splendor and I am sure the picture doesn't even give it credit.
Did you have plans for it or you designed it?

Well made.

Hi Philly

A lovely piece of furniture. I love the the double panels in the sides and it has been finished of beautifully.
As for unusual events I know exactly what you mean :oops: But in this case its only 6 months or so, you should be celebrating. :wink: Mind you all that hand planing looks like hard work to me. :shock:

All the best

John

Hi All,
I built the project from plans in American Woodworker. They do seem to produce nice plans, even though the magazine is a bit limp. :?
The pictures never do it justice, do they. (at least thats my story!!!!) Photo's never capture the 3-d-ness of wood, do they.
regards,

Philly,

That's bootiful. :D :D :D Gorgeous colour. And you get to use it too; very clever to swing that... :wink: Now if you'd just stop churning out projects so ruddy quickly, I, for one, would be obliged... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Very nice, Philly. Shouldn't it be in the front room where your visitors can admire it?
Presumably this gives you an excuse to take visitors to your room, and when they've finished appreciating your woodwork you can play them a song on the guitar :D
John

That looks really good Philly, must be rather nice actually finishing something :) :wink:

Philly":8m80oqa2 said:
A novel feature is the way the doors open-they lift up then slide back into the case

I thought this was standard for barristers bookcases - a friend has a couple that do that.

Ah, John
Did I mention my guitar project which is also nearly complete? :roll:
Project gloats, eh! :lol:
As regards the front room, we are re-decorating the room at the moment and having some a door blocked up. So a new coffee table is being planned as we speak. Oh, and the Greene and Greene sidetable in mahogany and ebony which I started a couple of weeks ago. Opps, there I go again :lol:
It's never ending isn't it!
regards,

Philly

now there's a nice lookin piece of workmanship, nicely done Sir.. Elm's a particular favorite of mine, so much depth to it..

One question...
How did you resolve the lift up / slide back hardware issue. I've often thought of making one of these, but finding the proper hardware has always stumped me...

Philly,
That is a super bookcase - beautiful job.

Did you find the elm difficult to work? I have contemplated doing something in elm and your project has renewed my interest in the wood but IIRC it has a reputation for being cross-grained and 'ornery.

Anyway, many congratulations.

Mike,
The plans call for a runner at either top side with a rebate running the length front to back. There is a dowel at the top corners of the door that run in this slot and a couple of dowels at the front corner for the door to run "up and over". It works really well, especially when lubed with a little paste wax. So no actual hardware to be bought.
As to the elm, it really is a beautiful wood to use. It is easy to work with and planes up easily. The figure is lovely too, it really comes alive with a little oil. Only downside is it moves around quite a bit. I roughed up the stock, sticked it for a while, then had almost to start again as it had moved so much. And it wasn't down to the moisture content, just tension within the timber. It was all worth it though! :lol:
best regards,

Sorry Chris, missed your post whilst typing.
As to the workability of Elm, the stuff I was using was air-dried English Elm. I know some places sell the American stuff, I don't know what that's like or how it compares.
Anyway, this stuff was great. i planed through knots, swirly grain, anything-it all came up beautifully with (obviously) a sharp plane. It is a relatively soft wood to work, slightly softer than mahogany i'd say. But it wasa hand tool delight.
Only downside was the amount of movement in some of the pieces, but there again you dont get that lovely grain for free.
If you can get hold of some Chris, go for it!
best regards,

Handsome job, Philly. :)

And thanks for the notes about the wood - I think there might be an elm project in my future.

Very nice work Philly.

You seem to have started a bit of an elm fan club. I think elm is under used for furniture projects perhaps because of concerns with difficult grain or movement. I think some heavy waxy finishes on old country furniture also put people off but as your work shows with modern finishes it can look superb.

Well Done

Roy

Back