Complete beginner - can you help please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm new to this forum and want to start to do some "proper" woodworking, but I'm struggling to work out where to buy some hardwood from. I live near Newmarket in Cambridgeshire. Can anyone suggest a timber yard near me? Is it realistic to buy wood over the internet/mail order and get it shipped and if so how much would I have to buy at one time? I've got a planer/thicknesser and table saw so should I buy sawn stock and machine it myself or PAR?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

Welcome to the forum, Nick.

The Cambridgeshire contingent will be able to help with local suppliers, but as far as buying via mail order goes it can be done although obviously it has drawbacks. I have no choice, so I go to British Hardwoods, who are on the whole pretty good although their range is slightly limited. Their minimum order figure will be on the site somewhere I think; it's not too bad though. (Oh yes it is for sawn stuff. :( Hmm, when did that start?) Another alternative is South London Hardwoods, but their shipping charges are rather high.

As far as sawn stock v. PAR goes, if you have the means to prepare the sawn stuff why pay someone else to do it for you? Someone else who'd not paying for it either, and doesn't care if they can keep the odd board oversized in thickness but just runs the lot through at 3/4", or take special care of a particularly good board and so forth. Keep as much control as you can; it's worth it.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I have used Atkins & Cripps when they where in Bishop Stortford, they have moved to Witchford, Ely, I am not sure how far that is from you.

Now I have a good saw and a planer/thicknesser I buy sawn timber as first choice. It is cheaper, I can machine it to the size I want and the saw dust and shavings go in the wood burner to keep the shop warm in winter. 8)

Welcome nick,

Not many trees left in Cambridgeshire these days I suspect.

My experience with mail order timber was not satisfactory, they usually include some of their worst pieces that viewing buyers would naturally avoid.

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Dave - Thanks for the pointer to Atkins & Cripps, I 'd missed the fact they were near Ely :roll:. Shame about their odd opening hours though (weekday mornings and weekday afternoons except friday until about 3)

DW - Actually there are some trees left , although a few are being cut down :( to make way for a hyperspace bypasss - I mean the dualling of the A428 :D. There's even a small wood 100yards from my front door where I walk the dog, which unfortunately will be on the direct route to the pub (when it's built) :D

:eek:ccasion5:

Thanks for thae warm welcome and all the helpful advice. I'll give a couple of the local yards a call and take it from there as it sounds like it's going to be safer to go and have a look at whet I'm buying rather than starting with mail order.

Nick

cambournepete":ragymv7b said:
Dave - Thanks for the pointer to Atkins & Cripps, I 'd missed the fact they were near Ely :roll:. Shame about their odd opening hours though (weekday mornings and weekday afternoons except friday until about 3)

Pete,

Thats the same hours as before they moved. I was told that it was due to spending the rest of the afternoon loading lories ready for the start of the next day. :-k

Hi,
I live near Cambridge and will be visiting Atkins & Cripps this Wednesday morning hoping you buy some white oak. Haven't used them before so I could let you know my impressions.

Latest posts

Back