• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Competition idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this idea has legs or not, but how about a comp where all entries were of exactly the same piece? I'll tell you what gave me the idea, my Uncle Tom and I were at the Stoneleigh show and we saw a lovely liittle clock by Gary Rance, like this Bandstand Clock here:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/tur ... page2.html

We bought the plans. OK they are not brill, but they give the basic dimensions and the rest you can work out for yourself. I fancy making it, and he fancies making it, so I plan to challenge him to a duel. Now I am NOT a good turner, but he is a very good metal turner, and a beginner woodworker (at 80!) so I think that is fair.

Unless someone can donate a prize, it would be for the glory, and we'd have to agree a project, but it could be fun, donchathink?
Cheers
Steve

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Great Idea Steve!
I like the idea of all making to the same plans-design is such a personal thing. At least the outcome could be judged on execution, wood selection, etc.
Any thoughts Folks?

cheers
Philly :D

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
How about a simple chisel plane???

Relatively easy to make, cheap use of wood, and utility after the competition.

I have a free US set of plans for one..

And Alf could offer a Holtey of some sort as the prize to go to the maker of the best one... :lol:

G

I have one problem with the suggestion, it will only test the ability to butcher wood.The last competiton tested the entrant's imagination as much as capability. I managed to win a second but if it had just been judged on skills I would say the carved box with hidden dovetails would have walked it. Besides, some people don't like working to plans.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, OK, so a mixed response then, eh? Just a thought.

Shady: I suspect the response is "Dream On".

Jaymar: Yes, that was part of the point! :)

Devonwoody: Yes, an issue, sure. But no more difficult than previous comps, is it?

Well, I'll be writing to Tom this weekend anyway with my challenge, and I might just post progress here. Anyone else who wants to join in just for the hell of it is most welcome.

Mine's a pint.
Cheers
Steve

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Steeve

Persue your idea, but how about making it hand tools only.

I dont want to compete against a /1.,/<>/? machine. :oops:

Latest posts