Competition Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
When I got back from my hols, I found a nice letter from Brimark telling me that I had won £25 worth of products in the box competition. Although the letter mentioned Veritas products, I was able to change to a Miller dowel kit (and some extra dowels) that I had wanted to try for a while.

Many thanks to the judges for their efforts and to Brimarc for their generosity. I look forward to trying out the Miller Dowels in the not too distant future and will report back when I have done so.

Chris
I have been using the smaller of the miller dowels for some time on lapped but joints which I peg for strength and appearance. I use the upon some small chests that I seem to make fairly regularly.
They are very simple and easy to use, and win my seal of approval

Bean

Bean":uxs9szfx said:
Chris
I have been using the smaller of the miller dowels for some time on lapped but joints which I peg for strength and appearance. I use the upon some small chests that I seem to make fairly regularly.
They are very simple and easy to use, and win my seal of approval

Bean

I have to admit I've had a couple of packets for a few months now, and used 1 (just 1) for the first time 2 nights ago. It all seemed too easy. The only thing I noticed is you need quite a stroke on your pillar drill, as they are quite long.

Adam

Ooops... I'd forgotten all about them. :oops: In due course I'll be trying the ones BriMarc gave me. Yep. In due course. Maybe even this (academic) year.

Cheers, Alf

asleitch I have also used them freehand with a pistol drill with great success. Miller dowels I like, since buying them i have not used my dowel makers :D

Bean

Bean":2spktiap said:
asleitch I have also used them freehand with a pistol drill with great success. Miller dowels I like, since buying them i have not used my dowel makers :D

Bean

Thanks - that's useful to know.

I am pleased that Brimarc gave prizes to all of the winners in the competition, thank you. :D

I have now had time to collect my prize, here are a few pictures of it.
Dscn3072s.jpg

A very heavy package was waiting for me at work
Dscn3073s.jpg

Dscn3074s.jpg

Dscn3075s.jpg

It does look very nice, the finish is superb
Dscn3076s.jpg

The only thing I did was wind the iron down and then tried it on an offcut of cherry.
Dscn3086s.jpg

It works better out of the box than the Record #4 I spent half a day fettling. Its very addictive, I have planed lots of different bits of scrap just to see what its like. In fact I think Alf may of had a 'shove' packed in the box with it. :shock:

For anyone who it sad enough to want to see my competition box I will be sending it to Brimarc to display at Tools 2004 :oops:

Looks like a lovely plane Dave :D

For anyone who it sad enough to want to see my competition box I will be sending it to Brimarc to display at Tools 2004

Sorry I forgot to mention that the people who entered could send in their boxes to be displayed :oops:

Nice one dave :D Now you are firmly on that good old slippery slope :wink:

And there is no help at hand :shock:

Bean

Glad you like the plane Dave a well deserved win Wait until you hone the blade mate, then you'll see what a waste of time fettling stanleys and records really is :)

Still awaiting the prize from my own comp. win :(

Ahem....
It's not a waste of time fettling Stan's and Rec's,
if you've only got Stan's and Rec's.

TX
(Firmly secured at the top of the slope, i.e. No money to
pay for the ride)

TX,

I must agree, I would love to replace #3, #5 and #7 along with two block planes but money supply is short. :x
What I have found is the old Stanley planes, my #7 is from ~1908 are much nicer than the new ones. :D

Latest posts

Back