Competition box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll stick my neck out - here is the start of my entry!

Sticking to the rule that it must include a technique not previously used, I have elected to try using secret mitred dovetails. I decided a bit of practice would not go amiss so:-

practice_1.jpg

I found it easier to cut the waste in the centre so that whilst chopping out the waste, it was not then wider than the entry to the socket for the tails.

practice_2.jpg

Checking the depth of the sockets having pared to the "back wall"

practice_3.jpg

Completed set
practice_4.jpg

Dry fitting - unglued.

My plan is to make a box for my newly acquired carving chisels. I aim to make it in ash and use some of the ebony left over from the chair, for accents here and there. It will be about 13 inches on all sides and will house six drawers for chisels and slipstones etc. I would like to carve something on it but as my skills are still negligible in this arena, I am planning to make a couple of removable panels tthat I can carve on and replace when I get a bit better. In this sense the box will never really be finished.

Cutting the D/Ts isn't very easy I have to admit. I am rather daunted too by the number to be cut! If they are too messy, I may just go to the Woodrat and rely on some other aspect of the box to fulfil the novelty criterion.

By the way - a carver's skew chisel is great for cleaning up dovetails - better than the regular skews that I have ground myself from ordinary chisels as it can simply turned through 180 degrees to cut the other way - can't think why this did not occur to me before - that is an unexpected benefit of the course!

Chris,
Nice one showing your hand! I am surprised you're going for the "easy" joints though :lol: :lol:
A question-When the joint is glued up how do you know its a secret mitre? This isn't an elaborate hoax to raise the standards for the competition is it? :D
Just joking!
regards
Philly :D

Secret mitred dovetails scare me to death just reading about them. Good luck I am sure you will manage it.

The devilish cynic in me says when the box is finished how will we know?

AndyP

Chris,

Ooo, posh. I like the idea of the removable panels for when you feel your carving skills are up to the task. Persoanlly I'd have to have removable corners for when I felt my dovetailing was up to it.... :lol:

Andy, Philly, you cynics, you. :p

Cheers, Alf

May be the judges will have the box Xrayed to check on the joints :wink:

Chris once again you amaze me with skill :shock:

Nice one Chris. Seems a shame not to show off the hidden joint. Maybe you could make 2 sides from thick clear acrylic!
Cheers
Gidon

Nice one chris - the LN gloat there again too :) :wink:

Looks very hard to cut those joints and the 13" dimensions will require quite a few - brave idea but judging by the chairs and your test joint, you're more than up to it.

Using my favourite wood gets you brownie points but I'm afraid we will have to x-ray the completed box!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone - we'll see if it works out. I had naturally assumed the box was to be X-rayed and will therefore include some lead facing on a couple of the joints so that they show up nicely- or possibly, as Gidon suggests, I should use a judicious bit of acrylic somewhere.

Did you have to do that i was all ready with a sheet of MDF a bucket o glue and some 2" brads :oops:

I suppose that using this one that has MDF top and bottom with a dovetailed frame, finished with a good coat of yellow smoothrite would be out of the question?
Dscn1457.jpg

Yes there really are dovetailed joints, just that I trimmed the whole thing with aluminum angle, it is a flight case for a mixing desk after all :shock:

Anyone who is sad enough to want to see the construction can look here

OK then on a slightly more serious note :wink:

I have thought about a box, not really my thing. Looking at the skills and techniques on display here I wondered about should I have ago?

Requirement number one 'Use a technique you've never done before.' well I have only just got a router lathe, never made anything with it. So if I can figure out how to make a box using it, I am in with a chance :shock:

OK take a look at this:
Dscn2929s.jpg

Well thats a bit off the end of the 3" ash from Good Timber and its now 12 sided.
Dscn2930s.jpg

I am not sure how the middle will be worked yet or if there will be a lid and the finnish needs a lot of work not very smooth for the oil yet, but its a start.
I appear to have just met requirement number two 'post at least one progress report' :lol:

Dave,
I have no idea what you are going to end up with but I like it already! I have often woondered about the merits of a router lathe as I don't have a woodworking lathe and yet need the odd spindle. I shall be very interested to hear how you find the tool - and to see what you do with your box!

I am just a little bit lost in the ultimate design of this darned box but the construction - especially the joinery has taxed me quite a bit and truth to tell, it isn't finished yet! However, I'm quite proud of this set of secret mitred dovetails and the way they have gone together so far. There is a good deal of fettling of this joint to get the mitres just right.

I have found that a sharp chisel works better for me in cutting and fine tuning these than the shoulder plane that the books usually recommend.

I am leaving the final mitreing till just before glue-up as the feather edges are very delicate and easily damaged. You can see the slots that I have routed for the drawer runners - first time I have used a router on this project!

joints_1.jpg

Back