Competition box not finished in time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
very nice & it looks to me as if it would have been a winner

Andy
who has yet to finish his box, should be gluing the inlays one night this week could have done it last night but was intrigued to see how the lad Rooney got on - not a bad start

Looks good!

Adam
Who has also yet to finish his box but the final touch - a strike plate for the key should be cut from the walnut this evening - so then just a wee bit of marquetry to get it inlaid, and it'll be all finished!

John,

Lovely job. Too bad the time restraints knobbled you (sorry about that folks :( ) Your lathe looks awfully familiar. Rats. I'll have stop blaming the machine for my own pathetic attempts it seems :oops:

dedee":3d2j4usy said:
could have done it last night but was intrigued to see how the lad Rooney got on - not a bad start
Such a shame when someone so obviously suffers with debutant's nerves, eh? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Johnboy

That looks really nice :)

i saw a similar techinique in a mag a few months back - making a box that resembled a circus tent or something - i wondered how 'safe' it was to turn something that's been glued up like this - did you have any problems? what glue did you use? can you give me any pointers to potential pitfalls that you found?

cheers

Jim

Jim, I used PVA (Screwfix). As long as the surfaces you are gluing are flat it should not be a problem. The glue is supposed stronger than the wood.

I did a basic woodturning course at the local adult education centre. One of the techniques was for half round columns where we glued up blanks with paper in the joint then split them after turning so you had 2 identical parts. Only one students fell apart and it looked as thought he hadn't got the parts flat before gluing. We also made a table lamp from glued up parts with no problems.

John

Bean":3jjmjf2w said:
Whos Rooney then :?: :? Bean
Some lad they think might have a bit of a knack with a football. Not much evidence of that so far, but I suppose he can only improve... :roll:

Not only does he improve the fortunes of his new club but also those of the club he left behind - 3rd now I think - amazing.

Andy

dedee":8nb6l4zv said:
Not only does he improve the fortunes of his new club but also those of the club he left behind - 3rd now I think - amazing.
LOL. I don't think even Roy of the Rovers managed that. :lol:

Sorry folks, have I uncharacteristically continue to wander off topic? Someone should alert a Mod, really they should. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1w5jansk said:
dedee":1w5jansk said:
LOL. I don't think even Roy of the Rovers managed that. :lol:

Sorry folks, have I uncharacteristically continue to wander off topic? Someone should alert a Mod, really they should. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Mod here. STOP IT!!!!

By the way, are you sure this Rooney fellow isn't a woodworker? Norman Rooney?

Cheers

Tony

Who once watched a football match, but didn't like it enough to watch a second :oops:

Philly":jwzrseob said:
And Mods-shouldn't this be in the Wood Turning dept.?
a methodical and tidy Philly :D :roll:
You'll make no friends round here with that kind of attitude :p :lol:

Okay, I'll wander back Mr Football-disliking Mod. Funny, on another forum I lurk upon they're terribly strict about being on topic. For instance not only would it be forbidden to go into football in a thread about, say, chisels, but they'd get shirty if you even deviated into a discussion about gouges (it's not a woodworking forum, but I'm couching this in terms us poor woodworkers might understand :wink: ). At the same time they also encourage you to go to the off topic board in order to not seem to obsessed about the "main event". (Huh? :eek: ) Any duplicate topic threads are ruthlessly locked and the offender pointed to the relevant existing one instead. ("And don't do it again...") Not very surprisingly I've never posted on it - I'd last about 0.02 seconds at a conservative estimate. :lol:

Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Shutting up now. :oops: I'm bored; can you tell? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Surely, if you weren't allowed to repeat a topic,
the forum would be 'Tumbleweed Town' in two weeks.
Or am i being too cynical :?: :roll:

TX

And no, i didn't call you Shirley :!:

Hi Johnboy,

A very nice piece - I have been dying to try something similar for a while. Should be able to have bash at one soon as my planer / thicknesser is due any day now!

Bean":2vit2trw said:
Whos Rooney then :?: :?

Bean

Sings "He's fat, he's scouse, he'll probably rob your house!!" :roll:

Am I to understand that he plays association football then ??

In that case I must confess to only having seen 2 games, and those when i was a kid. I crossed over from the dark side and played Rugby

Bean

Bean":35gq4a5z said:
Am I to understand that he plays association football then ??
Ah, I see your difficulty. To couch it in terms more readily understood by real footballers; he might be almost as good as Jonny given time. :D

Cheers, Alf

Who has sporting support enough to watch football of all varieties, except that psuedo 'Murrican stuff. :roll:

Back