Competition Box - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well here it is finally. After how many weeks? I've lost count.

I decided to leave the grooves in the oak caused by the scraper while reducing the depth of the inlays. In the photos they do not show up at all. I guess this would have lost me points in the competition but I will put this down to experience.

I am not at all sure that I have done justice to the nicely figured walnut used for the inlay. The photo does not do it justice. If I were to cut inlays again I would like to be able to cut them much thinner and to a more uniform thickness.

The inside of the lid was routed out so that the lid rests on the outside of the box sides.

The next time I make a box like this I will try and remember to finish the inside BEFORE it is all glued up.

Dimensions approx 4"x4"x5" (lxbxh)
box1.jpg

Finished with 6 coats of Liberon Finishing oil
boxlid.jpg

For my next project I'd like to use this board which I found under about 6 coats of point & had formed part of the top of a 3 drawer chest originally located in the greenhouse when we moved into our house.
The medullar rays are outstanding, all I need to do is try and resaw it . It is about 3/4" thick about 6" wide and 3' long.

oakboard.jpg

Andy

Lovely box Andy - especially like the top inlay. Speaking as a lad who likes to make a box or two between jigs, I reckon the figured oak will be superb in box format

looking forward to piccies

I've been looking at the picture of that figured board all day trying to work
out what to do with it.

Either a) Make a small chest of drawers and use the figured wood as drawer fronts. If I did this the cabinet would need to be 3 drawers wide in order for that centre point where the rays iminate from remains in the middle.

Or b) Make a straight forward box with the that centre point at the front and on top (if I manage to resaw it).

Any other ideas would be welcome.

If I do make another box it will be through DTs, much easier than splined
mitres.

Andy

Andy

An attractive box. From your comments it also seems like you have gained valuable experience from the project that will inform your future work.

Well done

Roy

Andy,

Yes indeed a very nice box. :D Some what pleased it was late being finished. :wink:
That oak board looks special, I would need to plan the use of that with lots of care. :)

Cool box Andy 8)

Don't know the size, but what about using the Oak in a headboard,
either whole or as panels/raised?

TX

Hi Andy

Well done, you've finished it at last and ended up with a very interesting box. :D

As you say, lots of planning required for the board to ensure you get the most out of it.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks for the comments

In order to make the most out of that figured board I would need to resaw it which means another major tool purchase which I cannot see getting past the accountant at the moment.

TX, it could well work as a panel inside a headboard but the work involved in not only making a bed to match and a dresser and a wardrobe and bedside cabinets is just too much for me to contemplate at the moment.

Andy

Back