Compass Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't used a compass plane a heck of a lot and the only style I have any real experience with is this one which works pretty well for me.
Compass_plane_for_web.jpg

I just wonder if other folk have experience with other types of adjustable or fixed compass planes. I have a project in mind that will require quite a tight radius - about 6 inches (the piece will be convex) and I am not sure this plane will cut a tight enough radius

Never mind the planes Chris, what ya making?

Adam

Chris hello

I have no answer to your queston, but am glad that you posted a pic of a compass plane. I have never seen one, letalone use one. Thanks for the pic and good luck on the project.
Travis

PS I may have to pay more attention to planes. They can do a lot more than I thought. (in the right hands) :D

Mine is a #113:

circularplane.jpg

No idea what its tightest radius is; all references are silent on the matter. I could have a look tomorrow - it's dark now, and cold, and generally scary :cry: Could be you have a plane-making opportunity on the horizon...

Adam":1fxn6zoh said:
Never mind the planes Chris
<sharp intake of breath> :shock:

Travis Byrne":1fxn6zoh said:
I may have to pay more attention to planes. They can do a lot more than I thought.
Step away from The Edge*, Travis...

Cheers, Alf

* A disclaimer so you can't say you weren't warned when things get out of hand later. I don't really mean it of course. Slip slide away as fast as you like. :D

*sigh* I'm starting to feel a little left out in the hand tools dept.

I have just one Stanley Block Plane to my name :shock: :cry: :oops:

I am going to pursuade my mum/dad do "invest" in some Lie Nielson ones for me for when i take my Furniture Making Course :D :p

Ta, Tom

Don't worry, Tom. You'll still be able to achieve an awful lot with just a Stanley block plane so long as you tune it up properly.

Gill

Adam":24xql4vh said:
Never mind the planes Chris, what ya making?
Don't ya recognise an English walnut Chris Knight/Hal Taylor rocking chair headrest when ya see one :roll:

Adam,
Aragorn is right of course. That was something in the past. I am not quite ready to spill the beans on what I am thinking of, it might commit me to do it and I am not yet sure I can/want to!

Alf, thanks, I'd be interested to know how small it goes.

Doh, sorry, I can see it now.

Actually this is a pretty opportune thread, as I'm considering a building a oak framed sofa*, with a curved open back and sides, and a compass plane would be a good solution.

Adam

*I've actually had to sketch a design - as it's a bit of a big project to embark with only a rough idea in the back of my mind!. I might even have to build a prototype to check the angles of and slope of the back. :shock:

Adam,

I find a prototype can be very useful. They go pretty quickly with ply/mdf/chipboard and a nailgun and pocket screws which is what I have used for them in the past.

thomaskennedy":is4j19io said:
*sigh* I'm starting to feel a little left out in the hand tools dept.

I have just one Stanley Block Plane to my name :shock: :cry: :oops:

I am going to pursuade my mum/dad do "invest" in some Lie Nielson ones for me for when i take my Furniture Making Course :D :p

Ta, Tom

Don't worry Tom, I have a humble Stanley Block plane too, and after reading the advice on this forum about tuning and sharpening, it now produces lovely, whispy shavings off even the nastiest end grain.

Only two slight snags:-
1) It doesn't hold it's edge that well, so needs regular honing ( not really a problem, as I need the practice). :?
2) It isn't anywhere near as pretty as the gorgeous bronze LN block plane. :cry:

On the plus side, it cost me £25, not £125! 8)

Chris,

No joy; 9" is it's tightest radius. :( Unfortunately I don't have one amongst the woodies at all, but I wonder if a standard coffin smoother could be sucessfully converted?

Taffy Turner":dmqk9vp5 said:
It doesn't hold it's edge that well, so needs regular honing
You might be able to get a better replacement if you wanted to, depending on model.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2s8n1px4 said:
Chris,

No joy; 9" is it's tightest radius.

Can you get a tighter inner radius?

Was just thinking that you could make a false sole by creating a convex 9" radius curve then if it will go tight enough, a concave 6" radius curve on the opposite side. Assuming that you can attach it to the plane, and that the blade will project far enough to cut, this would give you the radius you need. Or you could butcher an old woody I suppose.

If you can't get the plane to the 6" radius, can you use a 6" sanding drum to create the necessary curve on an old woody? Only trouble is that I think you'd need a very small woody otherwise there would be a lot of waste to remove.

Just a thought.

Alf,
Thanks for the info. I think the idea of converting on old woody might work - although one would have to add wood to the sole rather than remove it as in the latter case the mouth would be destroyed. I actually have a beaten up old transitional I could try it with.

Barry, I think it would spoil the present plane to attach anything to the sole - it is a nice plane and I don't want to risk messing it up.

Scott, Kunz make one - I have no idea if it's any good. The design is similar to Alf's

Shouldn't be too difficult to add an extra thickness of sole to a woodie and then cut it to shape I would have thought. If you need further experimental planes, don't hesitate to shout. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Actually that's an interesting point about who's manufacturing one now... Rob Lee and Tom L-N are both pretty good at spotting the gaps in the market... And this is just the sort of plane that would benefit from a fresh mind and modern manufacturing tolerances - Come on Rob - what do you say???

I'd buy one - I've always held off on the fairly 'gungy' looking second hand ones like Alf's (no offence meant), and Kunz are not in the 'best of the best' area. Like side rebate planes, these are genuinely the best tool available for certain jobs that nothing else does easily...

Apparently the eminence grises of Clifton wanted to do a circular plane but were disuaded by Mike thingy 'cos it's economically crackers when there are so many old ones about. Gotta say I tend to agree with him, especially given the amount I had to pay get my gungy one as opposed to a brand new one from a passing tool pusher. :wink: If anyone's wanting a genuine user plane at a laughable price, mine is available; never use the bloomin' thing. It was much gungier when I got it btw...

Cheers, Alf

Slightly offended. I mean the thing's about 80 years old. You'll look pretty gungy at 80 too... :p :lol:

The only current manufacturer that I can think of would be Kunz, but as someone else remarked, they're not exactly top of the range.

Does anyone know when Record stopped making them? It was fairly recently I believe as they were still in the Lee Valley catalogue 2 years ago.

Back