Compass Plane / Circular Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello,

I've just taken the plunge and registered with this forum after lurking for a number of months....! The content is excellent and as an amateur hand tool user, it's really refreshing to read like minded folks' contributions.

I would really appreciate some advice/assistance.

I need an adjustable metal compass plane (to use, not collect) but am having problems locating one. The only ones I've come across seem to be aimed at the collector's market and priced accordingly!

Can anyone help or offer some advice?

There is not a great demand for these so they are not in great supply. A new plane like this one (A Kunz from Dick gmbh)

703123.jpg

is still pretty pricey and you can expect to pay about the same for an old user.

For many things a spokeshave or drawknife or straight planes will do the job that a compass plane will do.

I expect Alf will have something more useful to say.

David, welcome to the forum.

Compass plane, eh? S'funny, now you come to ask, all the examples that were floating about at the various dealers have mysteriously vanished away. Murphy's Law in operation again. Chris is right though; they're never exactly cheap. I was fortunate to pick up a Stanley #113 in "distressed" condition for 50 quid odd, but it requires a certain amount of care in use and it ain't no looker. To be honest, I tend to prefer spokeshaves. :roll: The best I can suggest is you ring round the usual suspects (also here and maybe even here as well) and ask 'em what they have. Unless you're really desperate and fancy re-homing my tender #113? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Many thanks for the responses.

The Kunz looks nice but is a bit tooo pricey.

I've emailed the 'usual suspects' to see what comes up (thanks for the links Alf). If nothing I'll try the spokeshave route and see how I get on......

Once again thanks,

Thanks for the info Dave,

I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) buying one (an old Stanley 113) - Should be delivered in a couple of days. I'll keep the forum posted on progress (the good and the bad....!! :shock: ).

If the '113 doesn't work out, I'll have to look elsewhere. It seems these compass planes are popular with C*ll*ct*r*s and are priced accordingly. In the meantime the Oak coffee table will have to go on hold.....

Cheers

dealers hay who needs them LOL, I have a nice Record for sale condition s G++ but like you say priced accordingly, do have two others not listed with a fair bit of paint loss, what sort of price range are you looking? I only list tools of exceptional condition on the site. cheers

OldSchoolTools":r0wrt4o6 said:
dealers hay who needs them LOL, I have a nice Record for sale condition s G++ but like you say priced accordingly, do have two others not listed with a fair bit of paint loss, what sort of price range are you looking? I only list tools of exceptional condition on the site. cheers

That RECORD plane is in nice nick and certainly worth what you are asking for it...a very good price IMHO!

I am keeping my eye open for one...can't wait until the bootfairs start again..I will find one someday....I just can't justify one yet.

FleaBay has some but they are mostly antiques let alone vintage...and some look though they might be a tad difficult to actually use!

Jim

Hi,

I made one for an internal curve on the backs of my chairs from an old woody smother, it only does one radius but thats all I needed. external curves can be done with a normal plane.

Pete

I agree that external 'convex' curves can be done with a flat spokeshave or one of several bench planes (depending on the radius). But, after using a compass plane for the first time at college the other week, I can honestly say I don't know of a better way to get a consistent internal 'concave' curve. A round spokeshave will do the rough work but, unless you're very highly skilled, you'll still have lumps and bumps. I also agree with Jed in that the asking price (on the website) is very reasonable - if only I had the cash right now... :(

If a certain tool maker in Canada would get a move on, there'd be a few more new ones around :wink: :lol: - Rob, hat, coat etc

Was a compass plane one of those tools that a general woodworker would have? Or would it be the sort of tool that would be owned by a workshop and used by the joiners as required, like a boat anchor?
I know someone who has one (woodwork teacher) and he reckons to use it once or twice a year, which doesn't seem particularly economical.

Smudger":xi38fi0i said:
Was a compass plane one of those tools that a general woodworker would have? Or would it be the sort of tool that would be owned by a workshop and used by the joiners as required, like a boat anchor?
I know someone who has one (woodwork teacher) and he reckons to use it once or twice a year, which doesn't seem particularly economical.
Dick, I think it's one of those tools that's nice to have in your arsenal should you require it. I've had a decent one now for a year that I bought of Martin and haven't yet used it, but there will come a day and a project when it'll be the right tool for the job. The reason I got one was that I was making a project with a curved drawer front...had I a compass plane at the time the whole process would have been a lot less convoluted than it turned out to be - Rob

Back