Companies providing machine servicing?? Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable, tried and tested firms who provide servicing of machines?? Or are there any experts on blade setting for Elektra Beckum HC260

As a hobbyist, with never enough time... one of my biggest frustrations is my Elektra Beckum HC260 planer thickneser (older, green German model). It just seems impossible to get the blades set - I've wasted literally days trying to get this right, usingthe lift-n-drag approach, more recently a purchased planer jig from Rutlands (waste of money - totally useless) etc. Unending hours have been spent hunched over it practicing new expletives as I try to get the blades equal, only to turn it on to find that they just move, or no matter what I try I am getting an uneven cut on a board out of both planer and thicknesser mode. It's so unreliable I've basically given up with it...

I would like to get it checked by a professional as right now I am fighting the urge to just give up on it and flog it... I like its size and when I have had it right in the past it has worked very well indeed, but I cannot face the one-day-in-two-months I have to do woodworking lost to fannying around with a 10mm spanner and a straight-edge....

The machine is in Northants at my parent's, but I live in Oxford - so anywhere in that area

Thanks,

Tim

I do feel your pain with blade setting. My axminster planer is/was a similar arrangement I would guess and whilst it didn't take me hours- probably about an hour- it was a job that I didn't look forward to. I did buy a oneway multi gauge which helped- I couldn't get the drag method to work for me.

Lay a sheet of ordinary A4 printer paper on the out-feed table. Place a straight edge on top protruding over the blades and adjust them to just touching the edge - at both blade ends. Done.

You could try Scott and Sargent. I know my mate got them to come out and set up some of his machines when , like you he ran out patience and just needed 'to get it done"
No idea how much they charge though.

Thanks very much folks...

a) It's good to know I'm not the only one who dreads this chore...
b) Chris - the Elektra Beckum is very transportable - I could just pop it in the back of the car - I see you're in Oxford... you wouldn't be able to give me some guidance?? It would be hugely appreciated if I cannot make any progress soon.
c) Paper and straight-edge.... ahha - that's anew one. I'll see if I can get the time to have a go at that technique tomorrow...
d) Thanks for the suggestions - I will take a look at those firms. I expect that it may be prohibitively expensive, but it may be the last resort.

Thanks

Tim

That's exactly what I was going to suggest Tim, you could bring it with you on September 7th I'm having a bit of a do/boot sale /meet up, so I'm sure if I can't help then someone could.☺

Chris - that's a really kind offer - bit of a pipper as I am away that weekend unfortunately. I probably won't get to have another go with it for three weeks, but I will see how I get on and may well come back to you if I still can't get it sorted.

Thanks to all for their contributions. If anyone else with the Elektra Beckum HC260 has managed to crack this problem then I'd been keen to hear your technique.

Hi Tim,

marcros":127vkshh said:
I do feel your pain with blade setting - it was a job that I didn't look forward to. I did buy a oneway multi gauge which helped.

+ 1 for the OneWay multi-gauge. I always struggled and then read about the OneWay. Setting planer blades is now a very simple process.

It's not cheap, about 80 GBP IIRC, but worth every penny.

Neil

Also it would be better to learn or be shown how to set it up rather than pay a company to do it. Sooner or later you will need to do it urgently one evening or weekend and to be honest having to pay even a few quid on top of the sharpening cost each time would start to get very expensive!

An £80 gadget to set planer knives when all you need is a piece of paper and a steel ruler?

I always used the drift or drag method before having my quick change blades.
You could try Stewart the engineer at Tewkesbury Saw Co.
http://www.tewkesburysaw.co.uk/services ... -engineer/

Or come on a wood machining course, we/you change over the Hammer/Felder self setting blades but I discuss and show the theory of how the blades should be set in comparison to the indeed and out feed beds and the thicknesser.

Cheers Peter

Back