Compact and accurate entry level table saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesd

Reaction score
I've been dipping into these forums on a number of occasions but this is my first post...

Since I've had the space I've been getting more and more into woodwork, one of my first purchases was a Bosch mitre saw which has been invaluable for projects around the house and saved me hours of work and frustration. I'm starting to find it limiting, especially when it comes to ripping. As space is fairly limited I'm hoping to be able to replace the mitre saw with something of similar build quality so that I can consider selling the mitre saw or at least tucking it out of the way somewhere.

My research so far as lead me to either a new Axminster TS-200 or a second hand Kity 419. The fox Fox F36-524 and Charnwood W618 seem to be comparable, if not direct clones of the Kity. Are there any other models that I should be considering?

Blister":3lond2p8 said:
Bosch GTS10
It did cross my mind but is a little on the expensive side for what you get. It's price would mean I'd be searching for a second hand one. I'm sure it's a fine saw and it'd cope with being mistreated and lugged around more than cheaper models but that's not a concern for me. :)

jamesd":20qj5gfw said:
Blister":20qj5gfw said:
Bosch GTS10
It did cross my mind but is a little on the expensive side for what you get. It's price would mean I'd be searching for a second hand one. I'm sure it's a fine saw and it'd cope with being mistreated and lugged around more than cheaper models but that's not a concern for me. :)
... unfortunately it has a noisy brush motor :(

With the exception of the actual saw and table, the Axy and the Kity are identical (same fences and same accessories).

With that as a given, I think, as a 419 owner, I'd probably go for the Axminster. Two main reasons: a cast iron table is more durable and more useful (you can clamp stuff to it magnetically), and the 419's combined tilt/raise mechanism is a weak point (the tilt cog teeth tend to strip and it's awkward to use).

Both are built down to a price, but, to my mind the Axminster one is slightly better designed.

Don't get me wrong -- you can get pretty good results from the Kity too, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the finish, etc. And I don't own a TS200, so probably Axy owners have their own gripes!

Cheers,

E.

RogerP":2h3k40oo said:
jamesd":2h3k40oo said:
Blister":2h3k40oo said:
Bosch GTS10
... unfortunately it has a noisy brush motor :(
+1. Great saw but the noisiest thing I ever did hear :evil: If you can push the boat out a little further, have a look at the Charnwood W650...bigger capacites but actually a smaller footprint than the K419 - Rob

Eric The Viking":3g2dztyy said:
With the exception of the actual saw and table, the Axy and the Kity are identical (same fences and same accessories).
Don't get me wrong -- you can get pretty good results from the Kity too, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the finish, etc. And I don't own a TS200, so probably Axy owners have their own gripes!
I suspect that I'll be equally pleased with either. As long as I can make repeatable and accurate cuts I'll be happy.

Thank you for all the advice here.

Back