COMP063 WIP Photos: Cutlery Canteen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the last set of WIP photos...

The final part was getting the lid made. The original plan was to do a coopered top. Well, after some thought I decided on a slight adaptation on this. Rather than angle all the pieces, I decided to use a staircase like construction, then round off the top part. The image below shows the plan. The blue parts are the oak strips that make up the top, the grey horizontal bit is the top of the main box, the pink shows the final curve, the yellow bit is a ply that hides the underside of the curve. Oh, and those little yellow rectangles (over grey bits) are the strips to strengthen the joints.
curvePlan.jpg

And after some gluing and a lot of planing here is the real thing.
lidCurve.jpg

And a close up of the curve. Amazingly, the curved part matches the initial plan quite closely.
lidCurveClose.jpg

So that the style of the lid more closely matched the rest of the unit, I wanted to frame it. The picture below shows the lid with the frame sides pieces in place.
lidSides.jpg

This one shows the underside panels.
lidUnderside.jpg

After all that, here's the glue up.
lidGlueUp.jpg

Once glued, I needed to plane the frame edges flush with the curve. This turned out to be quite an operation, there was plenty of
wood to remove.
planingLid.jpg

Here's the lid all planed flush
planedLid.jpg

Last job, giving everything it's first coat of oil.
oiling.jpg

I'll start another thread for the finished article and final pictures. Just got to wait for that oil.....

Edit: You can find photos of the finished canteen here .

Thanks all for reading
Andy

Back