COMP063 WIP Photos: Cutlery Canteen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee,
Engineering, tis in me blood. But yes, it is going that way a bit. My fellow students at my woodworking class keep telling me it looks like a jigsaw puzzle!!

I've not done any panelling stuff before, and couldn't think of any other way to get a nice face on both the inside and outside. It was either two panels of one VERY thick one. I thought two would be more fun!! The result ends up looking a bit mad.

Well done for finishing your project, looks great. BTW, are the links of the picture OK? They're not loading this end.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Woodworking Class? Ah that explains the incredible work, you are a woodwork teacher!

Thanks for spotting the bad links. Its Webshots wher I host them, they are rubbish. I've put the pics on my own site now.

Thanks
Lee.

Lee
Teacher? Not me!! Just an evening class thing that one of the local colleges run. Better edit that to 'fellow students'

It's a good chance to meet other wood-minded people. But it can be a little frustrating sometimes. Like trying to cook in someone elses kitchen; you get used to your own space/tools.

Your project looks great. Looks like you've two very happy kids there. Now tell me, is the scaletrix for you, or them? :)

Andy

AndyG":bb0eyil3 said:
Lee

Your project looks great. Looks like you've two very happy kids there. Now tell me, is the scaletrix for you, or them? :)

Andy

:oops: :oops: Er, No it's for them.... :whistle:

My plan for the weekend was to get the main structure of the canteen all together. Well, plans are never a good idea :) So, I'm afraid it's all still a pile of bits. But, I promise it'll start to look like something soon, no really.... :)

Anyway, I made a start on the drawer that sits in the bottom half of the unit. To try and improve the look of the drawer, the front is cut straight from the front panel. To do this I routed the majority of the front drawer panel out.
drawerRouted.jpg

Here is a close up of the routed groves. I then released the piece by sawing into the corners.
drawerCorner.jpg

Here is the drawer cut out and cleaned up. I've also cut some beading to go around the front (this will fil the gap). This is in cherry so it'll tie in with the frame timber.
drawerCutOut.jpg

This was a really nerve racking operation. Luckily it all went OK apart from one bit where the timber moved slightly in the wrong direction when on the router table. Luckily it cut into the drawer front piece, so I planed it slightly thinner and made the beading a bit thicker.

The drawer sides and back are cut, but are still awaiting joinery. Better get the joinery books out. I think I was at school when I last cut dovetails.

Andy

Tony":n8hufxgx said:
Glad I'm not judging this competition.
I keep reading this... Has everyone forgotten that the judges are only getting 50% of the vote? The rest of us poor saps have to make a decision too... #-o

Cheers, Alf

I'm glad that I am not the only own who is baffled - it does look good though.

Only 12 days left.

Andy

Thought I'd keep you all guessing :)
Just had a quick flick through the thread and realised none of the pictures really explain what the thing looks like!! Sorry about that, shall try and get some more pictures done soon.

Andy, only 12 days?? Oh dear. Going to be a few busy evenings ahead.

Andy

I finally got all the pieces of the main frame finished last night :D So this is the first time that the bulk of the canteen has all been put together. Hopefully, the following pictures will make things a bit clearer than before :oops:

Here is the front of the unit, showing the gap where the drawer will be...
canteenFront.jpg

This is looking into the top. The plan is that this will contain a removable tray to hold the cutlery. I think the tray will have to wait for another project.
canteenTop.jpg

This is a close up of one of the top corners, it shows how the inner pannels connect up.
insideCorner.jpg

Here are some pictures with the canteen upside-down. This is the space where the drawer will sit.
bottomInsideCorner2.jpg

The same view but with the frame removed to show the joinery
bottomInsideCorner.jpg

Also an upside-down view, this time with one of the panels removed too.
innerShelf.jpg

Luckily everything seems to be going along quite well so far. I hope to get this all glued together quite soon. Then, at the weekend I can finish the drawer, and make the top.

Andy

Andy,
all of a sudden it looks a lot smaller than the earlier photos led me to believe. It still looks complicated but excellantly executed.

Looking forward to seeing the top now.

Andy

I think these picture are making it look a lot smaller... It has ended up quite a large canteen :) Although, when I started the project, I did a bit of a google search of cutlery canteens; they're in general larger than you'd think. When you've got all the different knives and forks and serving spoons etc, you need a fair bit of space.

I did think after I posted the images that I should have put something in the photo to scale them. Shall remember next time to put a ruler next to it.

Andy

This evening I made a start on the canteen's drawer. To attach the drawer sides to the front I've used (reaching for the joinery book) a half-blind dado rebate... apparently :)
All the cutting was done on my trusty router table. This makes keeping the accuracy a lot easier. Here's the process I went through.

Here are the side pieces, with the ends squared.
frontDrawerJoint1.jpg

Next I cut a rebate into the sides that will take the beading pieces that will eventually surround the whole drawer front. Left, without the beading, right, with.
frontDrawerJoint2.jpg

Next I cut the groove (or is it a dado) that will accept the front piece. This is the sides sorted.
frontDrawerJoint3.jpg

Next a channel needed cutting in the front piece. This is to accept the locking part from the side pieces.
frontDrawerJoint4a.jpg

This shows a side (left piece) connecting with the front (right piece). The end of the side pieces can be trimmed down on a shooting board so that it will fit into the front.
frontDrawerJoint4b.jpg

The last job is to trim down the rear lip on the front piece so that the front will connect with the side.
frontDrawerJoint5.jpg

The advantage of doing this on the router table is you can do both corners at once. Just got to hope I don't make a mess of the other end of the sides pieces now :)

Andy

Hope no one minds more pictures. I think I might have got a bit carried away the WIP photo thing.
Just thought I'd post a quick picture of the two drawer joints.
I've used dovetails for the rear drawer corners. I thought I'd better put some completely hand made joinery in seeing as most of the others have involved a router! I marked them out at 1:9 thinking this was the correct ratio for hardwood. It wasn't till I checked the books that this might be a bit steep. They seem to hold OK though. They'll be planed flush after they've been glued up.
drawerDovetails.jpg

This is the front corner again, it shows a bit more clearly how the beading will fit around the front piece.
drawerRebate.jpg

On to the coopered top tomorrow :?
Andy

Ahh... the suspence. Well, the top is underway today, at last. Nothing like leaving things to the last minute, or weekend!
This morning I've planed up some pieces to frame the coopered parts. Still not quite sure how it'll all fit together though. Anyway, hopefully by the end of today the top will be well underway.
However, this evening's job is the big glue up :? Wish me luck....
Andy

A few more highlights from the weekends work. This first picture shows the drawer slides and how they fit into the main frame.
drawerSlide.jpg

Last night was the first big glue up. Apart from a few moments requiring a large mallet, it went OK.
glueUp.jpg

This is as far as I've got with the coopered top :( Going to be a few busy evenings before Friday!!!
cooperedPieces.jpg

Andy

Back