COMP063 WIP Photos - Chisel storage - Update Resaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I find that going public with a project spurs me on so here goes.

Plan (in my head only) is to make a cabinet to hold my (4 years to acquire) set of AI chisels. Original idea was just for a box with a drop down lid however this would have been impractical when hung on the wall so the plan is now for a cabinet with paneled doors making the most of the medullar rays in this piece of oak which will have to be resawn on the table saw - a process which scares me somewhat.

oakboard.jpg

Drawing plans is not one of my strong points so I had to start with sizing the chisel holding apparatus which I intend to hinge in place inside the cabinet so that it will fall forward far enough to remove the chisels.

The holder is just a sandwich of birch ply with oak faced ply on top.

chiselspacers.jpg

chiselholder.jpg

Final cabinet size will be about 14-16" high by 14" wide by about 6" deep. If things go well I might even incorporate a small drawer.

The wood for the cabinet will be reclaimed oak from some old wardrobes thrown out by a local college about 20 years ago that my father has been kindly storing for me. I had all but forgotten about them and was quite surprised to see how much was still there.

I have never made doors of any description before and am still undecided on how best to construct them. Some pointers from Steve Maskery last week has got be settled on the size of the frame etc but whether to dowel, M&T, perhaps even DT - I'll have to see after I get the cabinet finished.

It will be at least another week before I can prep the rest of the wood.

As for the that darn curve - well apart from the learning curves involved, I might borrow some of HID's tools and carve a handle, or motif, or inlay - can't decide yet.

I've started so I'll have to finish although probably not in time.

Andy

Andy,
That looks grand. I like the spacing thing, so all the chisels end up the same distance apart, very pleasing.
That's a lovely bit of oak you've got there too. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Andy

Hi Andy - Great start and a bit of inspiration for me (For me to make, not enter competition) Hope you finish it in time & do let us see the final product please.

Andy

Really like the idea, but don't you think you should slow down, you're putting the rest of us to shame, I've not even sorted out the wood yet.

The chisel holder idea is not original see this Pop Wood article

The cabinet idea is all mine and patented :lol: and if it does not work out I will just add a cleat to the holder and attach to the bench.

Andy

Andy
Looking very good.
If the cabinet is going to be enclosed, why not think about making a recess (Forstner hole) somewhere inside to accomadate a Vapour Seal pot to keep those beautiful chisels shiny?
Martin

Martin,
that's an idea worth considering - thanks. I guess it means that my doors will have to be tight fitting? and I guess the whole will have a curve.......

Andy

Martin - What's a "Vapour seal pot" sounds intriguing & if it's anything to help stop rust I would like to know - I'm waging war on rust right now :(

Hi Dedee,
I'm sorry to be the one to have to point this out - esp as these have taken 4 years to acquire - but I think you need to send your chisels back to Ashley Iles as not all of the labels are in line and :shock: :shock: ...2 are actually not showing at all !

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks MMD, I could argue that the labels fell off due to excessive use but I doubt anyone would buy that. :lol:

Andy

I know I've not the smallest work shop here but there is so little room it took me over and hour last night to rip a piece of wood just 62" long.

After about 10 mins working out where best to make the cuts on a 72" oak wardrobe panel I decide to take 10" of one end due to splits etc. I did this by hand. That left 62" to be ripped twice. It would be impossible to rip 72" without moving the TS outside.
Study workshop and decide to move the TS in the middle as this worked for the cedar planks last time.

After about 15 mins of moving the the TS, shop chair, various boxes and adjusting the workmate (out feed table) into position I can see that this 18" wide board will not get past the hand of the bench vice. The cedar planks last year were only 8" wide.

After another 15 mins of turning the TS around, moving the chair, boxes and adjusting workmate I can make the first cut.

About 4 mins later 2 nice boards and a useable off cut.

Another 10 mins to put the TS back, fold down the workmate, shift boxes and chair so that I can get my new boards in the bench to smooth the edges - the only bit of this saga I really enjoyed.
2 mins later job done.

Total time including sweeping up, about 1 hour. Hopefully cutting the boards to length will not take so long.

Project Plan.
Finish Cabinet carcass in February, do doors in March.

Andy

Losos":2z7ujvai said:
Martin - What's a "Vapour seal pot" sounds intriguing & if it's anything to help stop rust I would like to know - I'm waging war on rust right now :(

Losos,

This is where the Axminster anti-rust products come from. It works out cheaper if you buy 10 pots at a time. I use them in my tool boxes and cabinet.

Enginewise ship to Europe too

Cheers

I know I've not the smallest work shop here but there is so little room it took me over and hour last night to rip a piece of wood just 62" long.

Hi Andy - sounds a little frustrating!
Looking forward to the next series of pictures.
Cheers
Stewart

I managed about 4 hours in the workshop over the past two days. Having watched Mr Cosmans DVD at least a dozen times I was determined to give his methods a go. They work in my sleep....

Marking the tails
markingtails.jpg

Cutting the tails
cuttingtails.jpg

Only after cutting the end of my nose did I remember I had a dozuki - a lot safer and stiffer I should have used it from the start.
The other problem with both these saws was the thickness of the kerf. Too narrow to use my coping saw for waste removal.

Chopping the waste - tails
choppingtails.jpg

Carcase dry fit -
carcase.jpg

I tried my best to cut on the line aka Cosman and the results were pretty darn good. These are my first DTs in hardwood and the first done freehand. My earlier efforts were in birch ply and with the aid of the Veritas DT saw guide. I think the size/spacing is a little agricultural. The carcase is square and will probably get glued up in the next few days.

Andy

Lookin' good, Andy. Oak's a bit of a 'mare to cut dovetails in, but that looks like an excellent job to me. Evidentally dreaming dovetails works. :)

dedee":9r0g24b0 said:
The other problem with both these saws was the thickness of the kerf. Too narrow to use my coping saw for waste removal.
No t'aint. Go down the middle and out to each corner. Doesn't rely on the kerf being wide enough and often gives a cleaner finish to boot.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":xoep8ewf said:
dedee":xoep8ewf said:
No t'aint. Go down the middle and out to each corner. Doesn't rely on the kerf being wide enough and often gives a cleaner finish to boot.

Cheers, Alf

I know but I do get some satisfaction from whacking things with a 'ammer (well mallet ). Do you think that is why my arm aches? :lol:

Andy

Andy, the DTs look pretty good. Well done.

Noel

Back