Common Sense Deceased

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funnily enough my perspective might differ from those who live in a Derbyshire village or a Welsh forest.

My views are no less valid but I like to have a few facts to get a bit closer to the truth, which usually lies somewhere in between.

The OP got a hard time for his light hearted view of the loss of common sense. Not untypical with todays cancel culture.

Resorting to 8 front pages of a low circulation paper ( still 1.5 times higher than the Guardian though) is somewhat feeble, along with anecdotes of Derbyshire utopia. Not enough I'm afraid to determine the state of the nation and the experience of people across the country, many of whom brought a landslide victory for the Tories. I can see why that might grind your gears but it's not just caused by Daily Express headlines. No one was good enough to earn my vote BTW.

Rather than just spout opinions and anecdotes I've provided links to data to help either back up, or challenge viewpoints. Boils down to arguably how big or small 4.8% is. But at least we've got some facts instead of headlines to back up our differing views.

Living in East London since 1987 I've seen a lot of change and I can provide countless anecdotes good and bad. Most people I come across are good.

I guessing what you're or the record I managed very diverse teams. They liked me because they knew I had their backs and I'd die in a ditch for them.
You sometimes need to keep the safety on your scatter gun.

Finally, I agree with the OP - Common Sense is indeed appear to be dead.

Finally, I agree with the OP - Common Sense is indeed appear to be dead.
Well yes if you look at Brexit. What on earth happened? How can we get back to civilisation and common sense?
PS my "Derbyshire village" is actually very close to the historical centre of the industrial revolution and was highly industrialised itself (quarries and mines) itself until quite recently. Not a cosy little Cotswold niche!
First job I got when I arrived here was driving one of these. Edited - it was one of these (just been browsing Foden sites)

foden.jpg

30 tons of Barytes per load, for the oil industry. Just thought I'd mention it in case you imagine we are out of touch here in the industrial midlands
Chatting to "immigrants" only the other day - family out walking on the High Peak Trail looking very "Afro" and cheerful. Good to see them out and about and enjoying themselves.

Last edited:
Funnily enough my perspective might differ from those who live in a Derbyshire village or a Welsh forest ................................................... ................................................................................................... Finally, I agree with the OP - Common Sense is indeed appear to be dead.
I agree, I think your perspective might be a little broader if you hadn't lived in the same part of London for the last 34 years. You are correct of course, your views are no less valid but if you make comments that people think are unjustified they are going to retort, but that's just our valid view. ;)

Common sense isn't dead, it's just the world is changing and people consistently revert to nostalgia to explain why they don't fit into that change.
Nostalgia alas is not what it used to be.

Last edited:
And which half did you get @Jacob, the drivers or passengers half?
Er - no passengers! Just one seat in a narrow cab. I did it for 6 months or so until I got something better paid. Quite an exciting job though, bombing about in big HGVs in big quarries.
The point I was making that this is the real world in the middle of Derbyshire too.

Back