Common Sense Deceased

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what mad things this would have said if this had been adapted over time ...

Common sense died when you could no longer send a small child up a chimney to clean it?

Common sense died when women were given the vote?

Common sense died when we moved to decimal currency?
Not really the same argument don't you think? They are totally different line of issues from what the OP listed.

2021 is the year of thou shalt not have an opinion different to mine or the masses.

Not really the same argument don't you think? They are totally different line of issues from what the OP listed.

2021 is the year of thou shalt not have an opinion different to mine or the masses.

Chill out Dan. I’ve liked the comment from the original poster saying his post is a bit of fun and added a thought that what gets viewed as common sense changes over time. If that’s your view on what 2021 is the year of you see the world differently to me and I’m fine with that. Not sure what I’ve said that gives an impression of intolerance of others views but hey ho!

Perhaps common sense died when people started getting @rsey over comments on an internet woodworking forum ;)

I don't think anything has changed - the mass media has always called the tune for the majority, from the early days of printing. And having been told what to think yes they do get alarmed if they find people disagreeing with them!
Take a typical selection of front pages from one of Britains widest read newspapers - if you challenge any of this you are on fragile ground:
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 20.45.34.png

Chill out Dan. I’ve liked the comment from the original poster saying his post is a bit of fun and added a thought that what gets viewed as common sense changes over time. If that’s your view on what 2021 is the year of you see the world differently to me and I’m fine with that. Not sure what I’ve said that gives an impression of intolerance of others views but hey ho!

Perhaps common sense died when people started getting @rsey over comments on an internet woodworking forum ;)
Haha sorry, point taken. I need to lighten up today, need more workshop time.

I don't think anything has changed - the mass media has always called the tune for the majority, from the early days of printing. And having been told what to think yes they do get alarmed if they find people disagreeing with them!
Take a typical selection of front pages from one of Britains widest read newspapers - if you challenge any of this you are on fragile ground:View attachment 106089
I actually think that if you dare to disagree with the pro immigration policy of the past 20 years your on dodgy ground. The immigration over the past 20 years has been enormous and something that many people in this country think is not helpful to social cohesion.

I actually think that if you dare to disagree with the pro immigration policy of the past 20 years your on dodgy ground. The immigration over the past 20 years has been enormous and something that many people in this country think is not helpful to social cohesion.
There you go then. Many people feel exactly the opposite. n.b. Emigration has been sizeable too.

The Death of Common Sense
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the worm;
Life isn’t always fair,
and maybe it was my fault.
Common sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults are in charge not children).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of an 8 year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on the cheek, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common sense finally gave up the will to live, after a women failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common sense was preceded in death, by
His parents, Truth and Trust
His wife, Discretion
His daughter, Responsibility
His son, Reason.
He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers
I know my rights
I want my rights
I want it now
I’m a victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
you forgot his v large family of neighbours " I have my rights but no responsibilities"

There you go then. Many people feel exactly the opposite. n.b. Emigration has been sizeable too.
As for "helpful to social cohesion" I was going though a list in my mind of all the immigrants I've met over the last few years. Quite a lot in fact (I'm getting on a bit and falling apart o_O :
Nurses, dentists, surgeons, doctors, opticians, for a start. Many you wouldn't know as immigrants except for names - had cataract removed by a Romanian lady but the nurse was Nigerian. Health care workers at every level.
Then outside of healthcare - several local shops and restaurants immigrant run. Bus and taxi drivers ditto.
Local village immigrants include Dutch, German, Romanians, - they are university lecturer, accountant, hotel worker, care workers and an artist.
One thing immigrants most certainly do is improve society, "social cohesion" and the economy. It's not that they are self sacrificing angels it's just the demographic - they come here to work, they tend to be young, fit and forward looking.
Apparently as a result of Brexit ( and the govts immigrant hostility policy) we have skill shortages across industry, not just agricultural workers. But the industry base is declining too and Brits who want to work abroad are finding that less easy.
Am I on "dodgy ground" daring to disagree with the Express and the Mail? I think not.
PS just remembered - we have an Italian pediatrician living nearby (not paedophile check the spelling!)

Last edited:
Take a typical selection of front pages from one of Britains widest read newspapers - if you challenge any of this you are on fragile ground:View attachment 106089

Newspaper circulation is declining year on year, Especially printed format. People get their information elsewhere these days.
Some actually use their own observation skills and 'common sense'.

Daily Express circulation in 2020 was down to 238,230 Hardly a significant number.

A great deal is made about the 'right wing' press but I wonder how many people actually bother to read a newspaper these days.
The people that moan about right wing press articles are doing more for the papers reach than the actual sales.

Newspaper circulation is declining year on year, Especially printed format. People get their information elsewhere these days.
Some actually use their own observation skills and 'common sense'.

Daily Express circulation in 2020 was down to 238,230 Hardly a significant number.

A great deal is made about the 'right wing' press but I wonder how many people actually bother to read a newspaper these days.
The people that moan about right wing press articles are doing more for the papers reach than the actual sales.
Yes, printed press is in decline but that shift towards 'information elsewhere' is part of that process for both sides of the political bias. Also the argument of not addressing (moaning?) or holding right wing press to account lest it further that cause beyond sales is fairly moot.

As for "helpful to social cohesion" I was going though a list in my mind of all the immigrants I've met over the last few years. Quite a lot in fact (I'm getting on a bit and falling apart o_O :
Nurses, dentists, surgeons, doctors, opticians, for a start. Many you wouldn't know as immigrants except for names - had cataract removed by a Romanian lady but the nurse was Nigerian. Health care workers at every level.
Then outside of healthcare - several local shops and restaurants immigrant run. Bus and taxi drivers ditto.
Local village immigrants include Dutch, German, Romanians, - they are university lecturer, accountant, hotel worker, care workers and an artist.
One thing immigrants most certainly do is improve society, "social cohesion" and the economy. It's not that they are self sacrificing angels it's just the demographic - they come here to work, they tend to be young, fit and forward looking.
Apparently as a result of Brexit ( and the govts immigrant hostility policy) we have skill shortages across industry, not just agricultural workers. But the industry base is declining too and Brits who want to work abroad are finding that less easy.
Am I on "dodgy ground" daring to disagree with the Express and the Mail? I think not.
PS just remembered - we have an Italian pediatrician living nearby (not paedophile check the spelling!)

Tendency to overplay the number of immigrants in the NHS - NHS Demographics

Romania has a declining population. It's the poorest country in the EU but improving. People wanted to move away from the poverty and corruption. As the EU invest money in Romania they find they have skills shortages. Interesting article Here

Who is overplaying it? That's a lot of immigrants - 17% of the workforce
Romania has a declining population. It's the poorest country in the EU but improving. People wanted to move away from the poverty and corruption. As the EU invest money in Romania they find they have skills shortages. Interesting article Here
Interesting. Good work being done by the EU and good that they have freedom of movement: “Romania is no longer a poor country in the way that it was and now people don’t need just money. They have had experience of the West,” he said, adding that they want good schools, hospitals and services."
Will the UK become like the old Romania?

Last edited:
Ethnic grouping does not define immigration status though does it? Not unless that's the extent of the understanding of what an immigrant is and the assumption that to be British is to be white or indeed to be white is to be British ;)

Who is overplaying it? That's a lot of immigrants - 17% of the workforceInteresting. Good work being done by the EU and good that they have freedom of movement: “Romania is no longer a poor country in the way that it was and now people don’t need just money. They have had experience of the West,” he said, adding that they want good schools, hospitals and services."
Will the UK become like the old Romania?

You appear to be confusing ethnicity with nationality.

Looking at the nationality statistics Here

13.8% (where nationality is known) are non-British. That seems like a low number to me.

Ethnic grouping does not define immigration status though does it? Not unless that's the extent of the understanding of what an immigrant is and the assumption that to be British is to be white or indeed to be white is to be British ;)

Doesn't help the case for an overstated reliance on immigrant workforce though does it?

They merge over time. The racists tend not to distinguish between them, even if national origin was generations back

13.8% (where nationality is known) are non-British. That seems like a low number to me.
That seems like a high number to me. bearing in mind that only 9% of UK pop has foreign nationality Migration Statistics - House of Commons Library
But my point was that in my own experience every immigrant I've encountered, or UK national with immigrant origins, appears to be contributing to society. I expect that will be everybody elses experience too (with the usual exceptions just like the indigenous pop), in spite of "the masses" been told to believe otherwise by the right wing media, social or press, whatever.

You posted that retort three posts after posting this yourself, using your own stats to suggest others are confused.

Doesn't help the case for an overstated reliance on immigrant workforce though does it?
Given the suggestion of it not helping the case for an overstated reliance is your statement I guess it doesn't, none whatsoever. Immigration is generally a net gain, economically and from a skills perspective.

Back