Common Sense Deceased

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
The Death of Common Sense
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the worm;
Life isn’t always fair,
and maybe it was my fault.
Common sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults are in charge not children).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of an 8 year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on the cheek, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common sense finally gave up the will to live, after a women failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common sense was preceded in death, by
His parents, Truth and Trust
His wife, Discretion
His daughter, Responsibility
His son, Reason.
He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers
I know my rights
I want my rights
I want it now
I’m a victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Wrong. Its still here.
Sat in a chair opposite me. directs me in everything I do.
Tells me when to pay the bills, what shirt to wear, when to cut the grass. its been 25 years and I've sort of got used to it.
Although if anyone would like to make an offer I'd consider loaning out my common sense.;)

There won't be any takers, Amateur. Common sense is one of the few things which have perfectly equitable distribution: nobody thinks they need more than they already have.

The Death of Common Sense
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the worm;
Life isn’t always fair,
and maybe it was my fault.
Common sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults are in charge not children).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of an 8 year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on the cheek, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common sense finally gave up the will to live, after a women failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common sense was preceded in death, by
His parents, Truth and Trust
His wife, Discretion
His daughter, Responsibility
His son, Reason.
He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers
I know my rights
I want my rights
I want it now
I’m a victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
Been around for a long time this sadly weird Daily Mail style rant. Popped up in Australia, USA, UK and other places. Apparently an act from the alternative comedian George Carlin so probably a p***s take.
Bring back the Empire!!!!

Last edited:

Actually, the law allows for self defence, using "reasonable" force. What is illegal is "excessive" force.

I once read into what is allowed in protection of your own property. So long as you grab something near to hand and use it to defend then you're on sound ground. If you either set a trap, have to purposefully collect the offending item from another location, or use the offending item when the threat has passed you've some issues. Translated keep your cricket bat/golf club/hockey stick close to hand not in the shed, if the offender manages to get out the house and you have to chase them into the street to get a shot it make sure you drag their unconscious body back inside your front door before calling the police.

Common sense exited the building with those born around 1985 and onwards although did die a bit earlier than that in some cases. I can say that being a 90s edition who frequently has to perform CPR on ones own common sense.

I wonder what mad things this would have said if this had been adapted over time ...

Common sense died when you could no longer send a small child up a chimney to clean it?

Common sense died when women were given the vote?

Common sense died when we moved to decimal currency?

An argument for the converse. I know a legal partner (I'm not an attorney) who is great at his/her job and can't manage to do routine things day to day like keep food in the fridge or pay bills, even with due reminders. This person would drive me nuts, and they're not a savant (when you talk to them, there's no indication of this kind of goofiness that goes on outside of the workplace. It's beyond just lack of priorities, but a complete lack of sense going so far as having to go pay bills in cash because they're so late the utilities don't trust that you'll send a good check).

No lack of money, just who knows.

They'll retire early on a big wad of cash.

If you've got a lot of common sense but are nose to the grindstone and will have to pinch pennies all your life, are you better off?

I have more sense than talent most of the time - I stopped wondering whether or not people with the opposite were struggling when I realized they're getting by better than me.
-----------
Now, on the other end of that is the niece or nephew who begs off your oldest used car, runs it out of gas somewhere (has no means to cover up this kind of flaw with) and you find they trade a reliable car with someone else later on and end up with something that almost doesn't run. Without ever considering whether or not you loaned them the car or gave it to them.

....they always seem to survive, anyway. In their minds they often seem to think that they're thriving, too.

Back