COMMON MARKET

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A member on this forum sourced sourced some CMT router cutters for me in Italy. (Panel raising cutters)
These cutters were 40% cheaper (They were the same price in Euros that British retailsers are selling at £'s)

However the retailer in Italy is refusing to acknowledge my email order (written in Italian) or respond to a fax order.

I have never been a fan of our membership of the Common Market, and if EU countries are refusing to do business with us or me do I have any redress?
Can I lodge a complaint and if so where?

Dev,

I'm afraid you can't complain until you have something to complain about!
If the CMT agent / distributer has informed you that they will not sell to you because you do not reside in Italy and have suggested you speak to a UK source then and only then do you have cause to lodge a complaint. The fact that they have ignored your order is not reason to complain unless you can prove that they are ignoring you.......If you are not VAT registered I assume that you have indicated that you are willing to pay Italian sales tax?
I've been down this line as I import new cars from the EU for a living and used to lodge complaints to Brussels on a regular basis and these were always acknowledged by the relevant directorate. Do a search for EU consumer law and in the meantime I'll try and find the consumer stuff that would help you. Don't forget that if the people you have tried to order from are a privately owned company similar to your local tool shop it is up to them who they want to deal with but, and this is a big but, if you have contacted CMT themselves and they refuse to deal with you and you have evidence to back this up then you can complain to Brussels. As long as you have proof then you have a case but it's never easy finding this proof.

Noel

As an aside, how about asking Alberto to get the bits for you?

Noel

If Alberto responds to this thread I would be pleased if he can help, but I would not wish to overburden the kind gentleman by making an unpaid request.
As regards the common market information I think I am getting too weary to bother, it looks like the same problem as trying to import the motor cars like yourself has experienced.
It appears difficult enough dealing with those ####x/'# in Brussels (greatly overpaid) I don't think they would be at all interested in giving anytime to poor little Tommy in the U.K. The latest export to the commision I'm sure has other things on his mind.

Have you tried ordering from the US? Most suppliers over there will send mail order to the UK. A CMT panel cutter is available from www.cheyennesales.com for $21.95, for example. Not sure how that compares with here, but my experience is that I buy all my cutters, saw blades and most tools in the US and bring them back as part of my £145 allowance...or have them shipped and pay a little bit of duty and VAT if needed.

Thank you Brian for the link. I did note that they would NOT accept visa on international orders but wanted wire system payment.

Back