Comments or News on Festool Domino Eqpt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrit,

Whether it is worth it will depend on the users' particular circumstances but as to whether it's better than the Charnwood gadget, I would bet that it is far more accurate. I can see registration from a reference face, and keeping the tool at right angles to the work being very challenging with the latter.

waterhead37":2sjqg6z1 said:
I can see registration from a reference face, and keeping the tool at right angles to the work being very challenging with the latter.
I suppose that depends on how well you mark out :wink: It is fundamentally a powered mortise chisel - if you can use a drill and a mortise chisel (both very basic joinery skills) then this should be little different in terms of hand-eye co-ordination

Scrit

Scrit":3mrksg1a said:
waterhead37":3mrksg1a said:
I can see registration from a reference face, and keeping the tool at right angles to the work being very challenging with the latter.
I suppose that depends on how well you mark out :wink: It is fundamentally a powered mortise chisel - if you can use a drill and a mortise chisel (both very basic joinery skills) then this should be little different in terms of hand-eye co-ordination

Scrit

But the festool thingy is going to be so much faster overall, little or no marking, plunge it, plunge the other, and you don't need to cut a tenon or loose tenon just whack one in from the pack.

This must intentionally be one of their niche market tools - shop-fitters, that kind of trade might want something stronger than a biscuit but quick and easy. One of the reasons the price is so high might be that they aren't anticipating selling them by the truckload.

Dear 74extiger
Here is a 'brief' comment on the Domino you ask for:

I had made a few cabinets for my workshop. I had not settled on my preferred construction method, some had dados and glue, some had screws and glue, some had biscuits and glue and some had dados, biscuits, glue and screws (oh that was a sturdy one). One even had pocket hole screws. No dowels though. The workshop cabinets were just make from ply some of which was a bit wonky. Care had to be taken on the clamp up that everything was squared up and the wonky bits persuaded to mould to the straight and true. I decided that the next attempt should be made with dowels which I thought would assist in the assembly process, the dowels being just the job for accurate lining up of the carcase before gluing and /or screwing Of course a dowel jig would be needed and whilst I was perusing the last Tools show for such a jig I stopped by the Festool stand and persuaded myself that the Domino dowel tool would do the doweling job and the Domino tenon type of dowels might also be used for loose tenons in any Mortice and tenon joints I might need to do.

Last weekend I had my first chance to make another cabinet for the workshop and to see what the Domino was like. First up one must obviously to decide what size dowel to use for the job and how many to use for each carcase side or shelf etc. To drill the dowel hole you first have to match the router bit with the dowel size. Then you drill the first dowel hole with no ‘play’. Then you can choose whether to drill the subsequent dowel holes in the same row with a biscuit type of slop or to keep the dowel holes precise. Also for consideration in the depth of the hole. A first test with a bit of scrap showed that as I was use 3/4inch ply then, in wooden plank terms I found I had to use one depth setting for the ‘end grain’ holes and another setting for the ‘side grain’ holes so that my choice of dowel was not too deep into the ‘side grain’ plank. OK so onto making the first cabinet. First mark up the planks (all cut to size of course). The only marking required for the top, bottom and sides of the carcass is to indicate a start end (for example start the initial dowel hole from what will be the front of the cabinet) , and to mark the side of each plank where the domino fence rest. To locate the Domino to route the dowel hole for the shelves in the cabinet sides means clamping a guide as one would for a biscuit jointer. As this was my first Domino construction I also put witness marks approximately where I expected the hole would be cut as a double check before routing the hole, but this is not really necessary at all. So all ready now to cut the dowel holes. Firstly put in the router bit. This was very easy. Lift a tab and slide off all the fence stuff one Domino, and there is a screwed shaft for the router bit to screw onto. Nip it up with a spanner holding the shaft lock in. Slide the fence stuff on until the lock clicks in place. Next the Domino locator pins to the desired distance between the dowel holes. Position the first plank with the fence marking up. Locate the Domino fence on the plank and move it to the end marked as the start end. Use use the dominos locator pin as a stop on the edge. Route the first hole. (push the Domino just like one would push a biscuit joiner). If one desires a sloppy hole for the next dowels then now is the time to move a nob on the domino to the slack position. I did not, and decided to try nice tight holes even though the ply did have some slight wonky curves. Move the Domino on to the next hole position using the location pin as a stop in the hole just routed. And so on for each addional hole in the row. Repeat for each row needing dowels in the cabinet top, sides and shelves. This was a simple carcase with two shelves, about the size of half a desk, but not as deep. The process of routing all the dowel holes was very quick and very easy. No real learning curve for this sort of work. Assembling the carcase meant a bit of persuading the typically curved ply panels to mate up with the ‘no slop’ dowels. This was easier than I feared as one can put all the dowels in one bit and angle the next plank onto the first dowel, then persuade the plank to move enough to mate up the next hole, and then the next etc with a suitable and satisfying bash from the mallet (the one with the lead shot). The end result of this process was actually a nicely squared carcase that had perfectly flush joints and just needed some clamping to tighten up everything for the gluing process.
So a very easy tool to use for cabinet work I must say. Now I can have fun in deciding whether to use my morticer, router table, router mortice jig, bandsaw, manual router and chisels, sideways mounted router, or, now a Domino loose tenons for my mortice and tenon joints. I wont actually get to use any mortice and tenon joints for some entish timespan now I’ve lumbered myself with too many choices. But joy, I have settled my mental anguish of what technique to use when making cabinets. No more biscuits, dados, screws or biscuits for me. The Domino had trumped the lot.

Is the Domino value for Money?
I thank thee oh Festool, your tools are a pleasure
But now I wish for deep pockets to measure
I thank ye oh Blessy your clamps are so strong
But the money your asking must surly be wrong
DeWalt, you Wally, your tool are, well, ‘nice’
But think Black and Decca when setting your price
Screwfix, good prices, I must say dear chap
But Screwfix, your tools, there just so much rubbish
Lie Neilson your planes gleam, they shine in the sun
But where is the motor as pushing’s no fun
Hegner, your scrollsaw, there’s quality there
The consequence is my wallets went pear

Why, I do ponder, do I pay the price
Why does my wallet come out in a thrice
Why do I spend so much on your tools
Of course I am one of those foolish old fools
But do I regret it, no, not on your Nelly
Go to the workshop with fire in your belly
Let the tools rip, sand, saw and drill
A pleasure to use, a well made tool will
Outlive your lifetime, if its not long
And then when your gone will be sold for a song

We don’t need a holiday, my darling, my dear
I think time in the garden is called for this year
Cut grass, weed and tidy, and plant up that bed
But excuse me, my darling, I’m off to my shed
I’ve plans a plenty to make something good
But I now have to spend so much on just wood
The Wallet is out, to the bank it’s a blow
Those men in white coats may very well show

HI BG

Thank you for the review, with which I heartily agree.

Festool sold 75% of the first year's production in the first three months.

As part of my deal I am getting the Trim Stop and the Cross Stop. One fits onto the Domino like a pair of wings and allows you to set your measurement between 100mm and 205mm. This means that you can start with the built-in location pin and then use the wider pins. This is particularly useful when making tabletops as it does away with marking up completely. The other accessory is used for thin stock, such as the end of a man-made board.

The Domino is constructed to Festool's normal excellent build quality. As a hobbyist, I feel that if you have a Domino you do not need a biscuit jointer nor an M&T jig. The Domino works in the same way as the Leigh FMT and allows you to position multiple loose tenons to give you plenty of glue area.

At the moment, you are locked into buying Festool's biscuits, which vary in price from 2p to 8p each.

To set up the Domino takes a minute. To set the material thickness you just select one of the standards or set it manually. The depth of hole is also selected using pre-sets. Changing the cutter is a simple and quick job.

From a safety point of view your fingers cannot get anywhere near to the cutter when it is in action.

Am I pleased? Yes. It works out of the box and, as with everything else, if you have prepared your stock correctly it will give you perfect results.

Cheers
Neil

PS Gill, it's a bit tight in the bunker with all of those scrollsaws.

Neil its good to know you are excited by your purchase and I am pleased for you.

But has anybody answered the question posed by several people "is it worth the money?"
It seem s that the money would be better spent on other pieces of kit, which are far more flexible and therefore useful!!
I think there is a real danger of this forum adopting a 'if its expensive then I must buy one' mentality.

Bean

Bean":3jl0d0qa said:
I think there is a real danger of this forum adopting a 'if its expensive then I must buy one' mentality.

I can assure you that this forum does not have a mentality as such, and divergence of opinion is very much the thing. I buy lots of Festool stuff because I make cabinets etc for a living, and a the cost of a few minutes saved here and there eventually add up to much more than the purchase price.

John

johnelliott":a391vxjl said:
I can assure you that this forum does not have a mentality as such, and divergence of opinion is very much the thing. I buy lots of Festool stuff because I make cabinets etc for a living, and a the cost of a few minutes saved here and there eventually add up to much more than the purchase price.

John

John, you are in a very small minority on this forum . Most on here do not make furniture as a living but for fun at weekends and the odd evening.

Tony":1vvcudxi said:
johnelliott":1vvcudxi said:

John

John, you are in a very small minority on this forum . Most on here do not make furniture as a living but for fun at weekends and the odd evening.

I had actually realised that, Tony. I was making two points, one, that this forum does not have a mentality as such, and the other was explaining why I buy Festool, not why anyone else should
John

Isn't it up to people what they spend their money on in an each to their own way?

I wouldn't dream of criticising people for having a very expensive LN habit.

John
Bean wrote:

I can only disagree with you, as I believe it has. I have read little in this and numerous other threads to believe it does not.

Bean

Bean

I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you saying that members shouldn't discuss expensive tools and only focus on budget level stuff?

Some bits of kit are better than others and some cost more than others - where's the harm in reading the threads and making the choices based on your own needs and budgets.

New types of tool eg the domino kit will be more expensive because its first to market irrespective of livery. Its often only those brands investing heavily in R&D that can take the sector forward - that has to be paid for somehow.

I'm not in the market for one but I am interested in it and I'm interested in the views of those who have tried them. Whats wrong with that?

I'm sure that in time there will be a Perform Domino machine but I don't know if I want to wait that long to talk about it.

Cheers

Tim

Mod note

OK

This has strayed far enough off topic now. Please only contribute to this thread with comments specific to the Domino jointer

If the current discussion is to continue, please start another thread and do not post here.

Thanks

Back