Comment by a person of a certain gender.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you think it is a wind up.

Could be.

Take a look at the story, a couple of comments from residents, one of whom doesn't understand it and another who says she didn't have a problem with the old signs. Neither comment actually confirms the story, have they actually seen the amended signs, or did the journalist just ask them for their opinions?

Then there's a comment from Lib Dem councillor Ossy Snell, he actually exists, but his comment doesn't confirm the story, he just says he thinks it's a bit silly. Again has he seen the signs, or did the journalist just ask him to comment on the story?

And there's a comment from an engineer at the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership, he doesn't actually confirm it either, and
He added that the wording of the signs varies across the county.
so at best it's only in a limited area.

The same story appears word for word on several other newspaper sites, notably the Mail and Telegraph who both have a photo of the sign, is it just me or do they look a bit Photoshopped though?

Of course I can't be sure it's a fake story, but on the basis of the evidence we have no-one can say it's definitely true either, certainly not enough to get so worked up about it. With the amount of coverage the story has had I'm sure someone will be called to account if it does prove to be true.

As I said I can't be sure, any more than anyone can be sure the story is true, but the photo does look a bit too good to be true, to me anyway. Of course it wouldn't take much to print up a sign and photograph it...

Looking at some of the readers comments on the Mail website, at least one reader claims to have seen one of these signs over a year ago, so why has it only just surfaced and why is it being treated as if it's something new?

No I wouldn't, and that's my point!

It's a story that could be over a year old, published in a local paper then picked up by a few tabloids who are noted for running such stories, little if any evidence as to the truth of the story, a few meaningless comments mostly from people who would otherwise have had nothing to do with it...

Sorry but I've seen this sort of thing far too many times to accept it at face value, but if anyone else wants to believe it on the basis of what we've seen then by all means go ahead, you might also be interested in speaking to some Nigerian friends of mine who have a large sum of money to distribute.

Well that's possibly a more sensible view than those who believe what the Holy Guardian publishes is gospel.

Roy.

Whilst I might be more inclined to believe a report in the Grauniad than I would in some other papers I certainly wouldn't take it as gospel, all of the "quality" newspapers have their own agendas too, they just tend to be a bit more subtle about it than the red tops.

a bit more subtle about it than the red tops.

ie, they are better liars! Or less obviously so.
The Guardian published a series of comments by a certain gentleman yesterday that leads me to wonder as to whether the press should publish what a person says simply because that person said it, or whether they should should add their own corrections or qualifications.

Roy.

ie, they are better liars! Or less obviously so.

Exactly!

If you want to fool a more educated readership it just takes a little more effort, but Grauniad readers know what they want to hear just as much as readers of any other paper, and if you pitch a story just right they'll all happily tag along.

At the end of the day we'd all rather believe we are right than wrong, and are naturally more inclined to read and believe stories that support our view of the world, it's human nature, in the same way that we are more likely to choose friends and partners who share a similar outlook.

FWIW I work in the media industry, as do my wife and many of our friends, and I've seen at first hand how easy it is to manipulate people's views on any subject.

The point is Digit, these stories are really boring, though they obviously appeal to some with a mindset I don't understand.
There is lots of more interesting stuff going, let alone more important.

For which reason I read both the left and the right newspapers, it limits the brain washing! :lol:

Roy.

There is lots of more interesting stuff going,

Like Proust!? :lol:
You've missed the point Jacob, certainly there is much more interesting/important/valuable stuff going on, which you will find 'debated' on any political forum, but not here. You pointed out some time ago, 'if you don't like it, don't read it,' remember?

Roy.

A happy new year to all.

since i have just joined this worthy company, I thought i'd start with something nice and non controvertial.....not.... :wink:
So, since we are on about "political correctness, perhaps you might like this definition of the subject

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end."

:lol: :lol:
I dunno who propsed that but he/she, (must be neutral) should have an OBE!

Roy.

Welcome to the forun Ankledeep, if that is in any way what you believe then you should rename yourself 'Uptotheneckinit'? :shock:

When we are out for a walk in the village/local town and our lovely lab decided that she has to 'go' we have yet to find 'the clean end'? If it is a well guarded secret then please tell! :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":1t3efvk6 said:
Welcome to the forun Ankledeep, if that is in any way what you believe then you should rename yourself 'Uptotheneckinit'? :shock:

When we are out for a walk in the village/local town and our lovely lab decided that she has to 'go' we have yet to find 'the clean end'? If it is a well guarded secret then please tell! :mrgreen:

As for THAT.......

Semper in excrementum est
Altitudo solus varius

would describe my usual state :mrgreen:

Well ankledeep;

Not being a student of Latin, I can interpret only the words that are obvious in meaning. So:

You are always in trouble.
The second line might be:
Your attitude (or your height) is yours alone and never varies
(Or you are put upon from a great height in 'various' ways... :mrgreen:

Either way welcome to the club. You are not alone, as you will soon discover the first time you try to get an expensive tool beneath the spouse's radar. Now, there is a bit of political correctness from me; mentioning spouse! In my case it's SWIMBO!

All the best

John :D

Curious, I did a bit of digging on the provenance of this article.

This was a new sign and not a replacement.

Lincolnshire are not replacing signs across the county with this new wording.

Lincolnshire used similar wording to that given in the Highway Code.

So, yes, good old Express having a pop at political correctness.

Null points to the Highway Code for being pillocks in pandering to some politically correct 1984 activist in changing what everyone knows as the Green Man to Green Person because coming up with something like this totally detracts from what gender issues are all about.

Null points to Lincolnshire for not having the balls to use Green Man.

Null points to me for wasting my time on this :oops:

Back