Comet Neowise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
First clear night since I realised it's there, happy to say I found it - first comet I've seen!
If you look at the last star to the right belonging to the Plough, then lower your eye about 2/3 of the way to the horizon and slightly right, you'll see it easily enough with binoculars, and just about with the naked eye (maybe it'll get easier as the sky gets darker). Long tail heading almost vertically.

that wasn't the comet, have you had your eyes tested lately? :lol:

just kidding, well done for spotting it, even with the 60x700 it was a bit tough to spot. a rare site for sure.

That's a good description of how to find it. It is closest to earth on the 23rd but it is getting dimmer.
Had the telescope out last night and got a good view of it, then turned around and got excellent views of both Saturn and Jupiter, followed by a flypast of the ISS at 11.18.

You're lucky gents. We've had several nice clear nights recently, but despite knowing "more or less" where to look, I can't find it. Will try again tonight.

But ISS has been "blindingly bright" in our skies -. so bright you can hardly see anything else nearby.

My daughter got some nice shots of it over Knowlton Church north of Wimborne Minster on Saturday night. That's a good video posted by eezageeza showing how to find it.

Nigel.

We need MIke G here!!
that English person used the american name for The Plough
(hammer) (hammer)
No wonder I couldnt find the comet :roll: :roll:
Any one clever enough to work out if those instructions are good for Cyprus as well as the UK?

Any one clever enough to work out if those instructions are good for Cyprus as well as the UK?

Should do! It'll be a bit lower in the sky probably but early evening as soon as it gets dark it should be high in the northwest

8.57, still a bit of light sky in the west, no major stars visible yet.
According to the internet, its NW of me at 21 degrees from the horizon.
I've dug out a pair of binoculars that belonged to my father in law. guess what, theyre rubbish. over 40 years old, theyve been unused for at least 35 of them, but the lenses are cloudy.
I have a quite clear view to the horizon that way, and the sky is clear. I'll wander back up to the balcony in a minute and have another look.
I may be some time. :lol: 8)

What a difference 10 minutes makes. The east is full of stars, I can see all of the plough. From where I am the middle handle stars are vertical, but the sky still isnt fully dark in the west. According to online the comet should be down and right from the bottom of the plough. I'm worried that 21 degrees might be too low and be blocked by some houses.

This is fun, theres nuffin on the telly. :shock: :lol:

Stars Rodney? I got millyons of em! :lol:
But none with tails :roll:

I'm thinking its too low for me to see with the naked over distant light pollution.

I'm off to make a hot chocolate, might report back in an hour if I havent nodded off. 8)

What a disappointing night. Not enough milk to make a hot chocolate, and no comet.

Oh well, I can buy more milk tomorrow and catch the comet next time round, so all is not lost. 8)

Here you go SB
_MG_9736.jpg

Just in from the cold, no hot chocs but one out of two is ok.

Attachments

• _MG_9736.jpg
    _MG_9736.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 154
I might have another go tonight, but thats assuming I havent forgotten during the course of the day. :roll: 8)

Chris152":e1jc4u1f said:
Trainee neophyte":e1jc4u1f said:
Here's one I didn't take: https://www.iamgreece.org/comet-neowise-over-meteora/

I can't see the thing, either - some inconsiderate so-and-so has put a hill in the way. Still looking, but not with any great expectations.
I was quite proud of mine til you posted that, Tn. :)
Well, did you have £10k equipment, and 10 hours post production with Photoshop? Professionals cheat. If ever you get the chance, visit Meteora, just for the insane rock formations.

For SunnyBob: I found the beastie last night, but it was a very dull, difficult to see smudge. At midnight, directly below the very lowest star in The Plough/Big Dipper/Ladle/Orion's Agrictural Implement. It is about two thirds of the way to the horizon, but not clear. You are a little bit south of me, but not enough to make a difference, I think. The only problem is how much dust and rubbish there is in the atmosphere.

Trainee neophyte":14h4nf3z said:
Chris152":14h4nf3z said:
Trainee neophyte":14h4nf3z said:
Here's one I didn't take: https://www.iamgreece.org/comet-neowise-over-meteora/

I can't see the thing, either - some inconsiderate so-and-so has put a hill in the way. Still looking, but not with any great expectations.
I was quite proud of mine til you posted that, Tn. :)
... did you have £10k equipment, and 10 hours post production with Photoshop?
Well, I had all the gear... - what's the rest of that phrase?

I tried again at 10 pm, but there was a smattering of cloud, even the plough was hard to find.
I think its just too low from my viewpoint (I'm at sea level, so even a large house can interrupt a 25 degree angle), and I'm not driving 50 miles into the mountains just see it because the novelty's worn off now. :roll: :roll: 8)

Back