Combination square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETERG

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a decent new combination square?

ive bought 3 different modern combination squares in the past and they awful! the locking nut wears and i end up having to tighten them with pliers the newer hand tools seem to be made of cheap metal which snaps easially

any suggestions?

You could have a look at this one from workshop heaven, here is a link to mattew right up on his blog. It looks quite nice for a decent price, in the price you get the three objects and a blade and a nice box. the next step up is a starret set which is excellent but you pay through the nose for it.
http://workshopheaven.blogspot.com/2011/10/combination-square.html

Adidat

Rabone Chesterman if you can find one second hand.

Jacob":1trbqu64 said:
Rabone Chesterman if you can find one second hand.
Definitely! I've had one since 1986 and it's still as good as the day it was new - albeit a little scruffier!

adidat":3cv93e7d said:
Richard T":3cv93e7d said:
Role on car boot season.

+1

Adidat

Indeed! Though I guess my bootfair "combination square" is a bit OTT!!!

DSC_0738.JPG

I suppose it depends on what you use it for and the accuracy you need...

DSC_0739.JPG

Not bad for a tenner.... :mrgreen:

And STILL SOLD NEW

So....yes...roll on bootfairs!

Jim

Hi

Starrett, Mitutoyo, Moore and Wright - all top notch gear but bear in mind that second hand squares might not have been treated with respect and they're not all that tolerant of abuse. My dad still has his Moore and Wright 40 yrs on and it still passes calibration.

Starrett from Classic Hand Tools, but be prepared to dig deep into your pockets...I've got one of their little adjustable squares on my Christmas wish list, but it's never materialised yet :-({|= - Rob

adidat":2itlnxa1 said:
:tongue9:

Yes Chris...hands up....I guess my example was a little extreme but judging my JohnF's find...I'm not too sure.

As for calibration...agreed Rob...but I tested my little Tesa against my M&W test square and it was spot on. Not sure which should be used as the reference though here!

I suppose they are both accurate enough for woodworking anyway...as one UKW sage is fond of pointing out! :wink:

Jim

adidat":2jrdcq3k said:
Not long now jimi until we can go and harrass the half asleep sellers. :)

Adidat

Five weeks here....and the missus has started to sort the garage and loft #2 out so that she can set up the stall to make me money for my crazy purchases!

Not long now...I'm even booking leave for the whole of March Sundays to ensure I can play with them when I get home!

Can't wait!

Oh...and I have to train "special needs puppy" to be "bootfair dog" too...that might be a challenge! :shock:

Jim

Yes i refrain from taking amber, who is the sweetest kindest lab. But loves to play with objects and wooden things, took her to brean barrow in the summer and the first occasion was running off and popping a childs ball, and then she grabed a log from a todlers hand, scary that was.

Adidat

adidat":iypzo1ew said:
Yes i refrain from taking amber, who is the sweetest kindest lab. But loves to play with objects and wooden things, took her to brean barrow in the summer and the first occasion was running off and popping a childs ball, and then she grabed a log from a todlers hand, scary that was.

Adidat

My dear departed Jake did a poo right in the middle of someone's tarpaulin....he didn't go again....(to a bootfair that is!)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

By coincidence I was looking for a 150mm CS as my alloy version is unusable. I noticed a standard Bahco on ebay and bought it for £4.80 delivered.

Cast iron stock, nicely machined with some nice touches like the spring being retained in a recess under the nut and a stainless rule.

Why bother with the vintage stuff which may have had a hard life

IMG_3318.jpg

Modernist":7o3a4fg2 said:
By coincidence I was looking for a 150mm CS as my alloy version is unusable. I noticed a standard Bahco on ebay and bought it for £4.80 delivered.

Cast iron stock, nicely machined with some nice touches like the spring being retained in a recess under the nut and a stainless rule.

IMG_3318.jpg
I have the 300mm one and I am pleased with it. It is square and although I don't have a Starret CS to compare with I do imagine that it is good enough for my needs.

Will probably also by a 150mm since some times the 300mm is a bit unhandy. Does anyone know if the 6" and the 12" have the same head or if the head of the 6" is smaller?

nanowire":muhm1wr0 said:
Modernist":muhm1wr0 said:

I have the 300mm one and I am pleased with it. It is square and although I don't have a Starret CS to compare with I do imagine that it is good enough for my needs.

Will probably also by a 150mm since some times the 300mm is a bit unhandy. Does anyone know if the 6" and the 12" have the same head or if the head of the 6" is smaller?

http://extranet.snaeurope.com/loadImage ... fix=normal
This image seems to suggest that the 6" is indeed smaller :)

Back