Combination square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modernist":5lwqro41 said:
By coincidence I was looking for a 150mm CS as my alloy version is unusable. I noticed a standard Bahco on ebay and bought it for £4.80 delivered.

Cast iron stock, nicely machined with some nice touches like the spring being retained in a recess under the nut and a stainless rule.

Why bother with the vintage stuff which may have had a hard life

I don't think that's the usual price - nice one!

BugBear

Cheers Brian - just ordered one (which i'd been meaning to do for a while!)

I like the look of that square: Bahco stuff looks pretty good to me, generally.

Came accross some of the chisels a while ago and they seemed alright.

CORRECTION

To be clear the price did not include carriage and the total cost was £6.69 delivered.

Still seems good to me.

Hello,

the head of this Bahco square is not cast iron, just injection moulded/die cast light alloy. I have a cast iron 300 mm Rabonne from the 1980s, and that is a decent one. This Bahco looks identical to cheaper Stanley tools, except for the paint colour.

Have a nice day,

János

Couple of notes on these...

I bought a PEC set about 12 years ago, still okay generally, but needs a new set of pins. It got a tough life used in a fabrication shop. Protractor cracked, but welded up, still passed calibration.

One of the other lads bought a clarke set, around the £30 mark, all cast, looked okay. Eventually found out the radial square wasn't ground well enough to be even, and the protractor was about a degree and a half out.

I left mine behind once, desperatly wanted it, so popped into Toolstation, and bough a S*****line one...... only a couple of quid..... but the numbers were all put on back to front!

thanks i might buy the Bacho one to tide me over until car boot season starts again

jimi43":11v56e9t said:
adidat":11v56e9t said:
Yes i refrain from taking amber, who is the sweetest kindest lab. But loves to play with objects and wooden things, took her to brean barrow in the summer and the first occasion was running off and popping a childs ball, and then she grabed a log from a todlers hand, scary that was.

Adidat

My dear departed Jake did a poo right in the middle of someone's tarpaulin....he didn't go again....(to a bootfair that is!)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

My favourite was a lovely Springer, who unfortunately I lost to Cancer when he was not yet 5.
He wouldn't take anything from a hand except for mine and the Wife's. His stratagem was much more sophistcated than that - he used to resort to pitiful pleading. It was hilarious to watch him at the Cricket ground at teatime, sitting in front of a toddler about his size, with one paw in the air, just hoping that his luck was in! Sometimes you'd wonder where he'd got to and looking around you'd spot him steadfastly walking round the boundary following some little Kid with a packet of crisps, hoping that something might fall! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back