Combination Square Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I’m probably a bit late with this but I bought this a couple of years ago https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/measuring-and-test-equipment/combination-sets/12inch-300mm-multi-function-combination-set/p/ZT1015284X On line from Zoro.
The complete set sells For £82, It sells under the name Oxford but they also sell a Moore & Wright set for £230. They are identical. I’m certain it is the Moore & Wright rebranded.
The Oxford is very well made and spot on square and feels reassuringly heavy, I’ve been really pleased with it and felt it was well worth the money. If you don’t need the centre head or protractor you can buy all the parts separately and save a bit of cash, I think it’s £56.

Seems that link doesn’t work so just go to Zoro website and search for Oxford combination set

s-l140.jpg

I got ones of these in March. Best quality sliding square I have ever owned.
A PEC Cosmetic Second 150 mm / 6" E/M Double Square 1/32, 1/64, mm and .5mm
The reason these are seconds is because there is some pitting on the surface of the casting. You need a magnifying glass to find it. It does not influence the accuracy of the sliding square.

There are a couple of ebay resellers making these available I got mine from taylortoolworksllc. They are really good value! Just check out the price of the perfect ones. Many USA woodworkers say they are the very best on the market. I am not arguing with that.

one has to be careful about why PEC items are seconds. I've gotten a few of their seconds and two were seconds because of inaccurate work where the rule and head lock, they're very difficult to use. The others were due to minor cosmetic things on rules, and those are no problem.

They are not in the same class as mitutoyo and starett, but the benefit of that is you can use them without feeling the need to be precious with them.

If you can find a used head and rule of lufkin, starrett, etc (any decent name - the lufkin name has been cheapened to be hardware store stuff like tapes) where both are hardened, I've had literally better luck with the old used squares being square vs. anything new short of starrett and mitutoyo, and those will wear much more slowly than unhardened heads and have easier smoother action.

The risk buying used is that a tool dealer finds two parts and puts them together and they weren't matching from the start. There's a lot of that with starrett squares (the honest used dealers here in the states would declare that they did that so at least you knew it).

Years ago when I was an apprentice I found a Lufkin 12" protractor in the street *I used it for years until a half ton steel beam killed it. Gutted I looked on the bay and got a replacement full combination set, quite cheap as Lufkin isn't a well known name, but the green squares and combo sets are superb in quality.

Back