Combination or separate machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to invest in the first of my woodworking machines and am unsure if I should purchase a combination machine such as the Tekna 156 or to opt for separates :? . My immediate requirement is for a table saw and routing table. I have a budget in the region of £700 which would buy me the 6 in 1 Tekna but would I be better investing a similar sum on a table saw and routing table/router. Any advice offered would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

I've never had a combo machine so I don't know. I personally would buy seperate machines. I would go for a better table saw than router. But with £700 you could get a pretty good tablesaw and router

James

Thanks for your comments. Would you have any recommendations for a routing table/router and table saw. I was thinking of a Trend CRT/A with a T5 router and currently no views on a table saw.

Cheers

Chris

I think separate machines are the way to go too. I’ve just bought my first table saw - a Sheppach TS2000 and highly recommend it (I’ll soon be adding a review to the review section) but costs £700 including the base and folding width extension so that will be all your money gone :(

If woodworking is only a hobby you could get a budget table saw for under £200 theres even two budget saws out on the market which have induction motors which is a real plus click here for recent thread about budget table saws.

You could then buy a T5 router (info) for around £119 and the Trend CRT/A router table for £169 leaving you with £212 then you might want to buy the BAS 250 bandsaw which I've reviewed here for £198 (cue Jester with 5 reasons why the bandsaw is more useful then the TS :roll: )

If you buy the T5 router from mtspowertools.co.uk you will get a free 12piece router bit set :D

The Trend T5 router and the router table are great choices, I own the T5 and have seen the table at woodworking shows in the past.

hope this helps.....

Oh Charley? :evil:
Anyway, Chris, I can't see how to link directly to my message, but go to this thread and scroll down a wee bit until you find what I think is a better solution. FWIW. I really need to do a page on this for my website to make these posts easier :wink:

As for combination machines? With your budget I think I'd steer clear. I have no experience of the Tekna 156, but I do with the more expensive Record Maxi26. If the Maxi is bad (and it is, believe me :( ) then I dread to think what a 700 quid combi is like. However, you may find you can do pretty well on secondhand combis. They do seem to depreciate a lot, and I would have thought you'd have a good chance of finding a Kity, for instance, within your price range. Just a thought.

To be honest, if you want a router table, why not make one? 20-odd quid will get you an insert and you can make it to your requirements. As simple or as complicated as you like. A search for "router table" should whistle up plenty of inspiration.

You might also like to ask over on the UK Woodworking Group, as there is plenty of experience of table saws, router tables etc over there. (Oh yes, Charley. #cough#)

Cheers, Jester

I have the ferm FZT 200 Table saw (See the reviews section 2nd Page) It's a great price for £120 Ferm also have brought out a better model with a Induction motor and more features.

Back