Combination Machine Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a combination machine for my small workshop and I'm thinking of buying a Lutz Maxxum from Southern Woodwork. Does anyone have any experience using this machine or indeed any other machines that I should also consider ?

Thanks

Steve

ok I'll reply to my self :p . After alot of research and advice from people from this forum and the other one I have decided not to buy a combination machine, but instead go for seperates. You can buy compact quality tools which are far superior to the a combination machine in my price range anyway.

I am now trying to decide which Bandsaw and Thicknesser/Planer machines to buy :? I have been looking at the EB316 & Batso3, but just can't decide between them, both have received some negative reviews on the forums, but I think perhaps the support is better with the EB316. If anyone can offer any oppinions on this I would appreciate it .

With regard the the planer/thicknesser it looking like the Sheppach HMS260, bit pricey but I hear nothing but good things about it.

cheers

Steve

Hi Snjbird,

I have only just seen your thread, so i hope I am not to late, which from your second thread I'm not.

The Lutz stuff don't touch it, I had the Lutz Jumbo saw bench, oh dear, nothing but tin plate and my heart suck when I opened the box, needless to say, I got rid of it, soon after. It was a swine to set up, the blade did not run true, in either plane, the only good bit was the motor, seemed to have plenty of power and that's the only good thing I can say about it. Record do the same saw but different colours.

Your choice for the bandsaw and P/T sounds a good one to me, as they say you get what you pay for, even though it may be more than you want to pay, it will pay in the end. There is nothing more annoying, than using a machine and it does a have hearted affair and you walk away feeling disapointed having spent good money. So your choice looks good to me and should the job well, which makes the extra worth while and doing a job is a pleasure.
Good luck and that's my 2p worth, having learnt the hard way.

Woodtec,

Thanks for the advice :D Its always nice to have someone confirm your choice especially when you ar about to part with hard earned cash :!:

Anyway I'll let you know how I get on. I suspect I will be posting a few more questions on the bandsaw setup later :lol:

cheers

Steve

I am probably to late but here goes anyway. I have not used the 316 but i have a 315 which is i believe an uprated model and after using it for about 4 years there is only one fault with it and that is the adjustment on the bottom blade guide's. Because of the lack of room they are a bit of a pain to adjust.

Otherwise it has been an excellent machine.

One tip i would give you and that is to dump the blades that come with it and buy some better quailty one's, and you will find that it cuts much better. This is not a fault with Elektra Beckum, because as far as i can see most manufactuers give you rubbish blade's.

Hope this helps.

Mike.C

Back