Combi machines or seperate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samthedog

Established Member
Reaction score
I have small workshop that is both a metal shop and wood shop. I currently have a Lini table saw, an Inca thicknesser and planer and an Inca bandsaw. I starting to notice a lack of space and was thinking of going with a combi machine to increase the available floor space. I know most machines will not have a bandsaw so I will likely keep the little Inca I have.

I don't need a heavy duty professional rig but have been considering the likes of a Luna Z50 or an Emco-rex 3000. Does anyone have any experience with these? As a general rule I don't like combi-machines due to the interdependance of the various functions to shared switches and motors (one part breaks, everything breaks). Is this a concern nowadays or is the quality of the machines mentioned such that I don't really have to worry? I can manufacture mechanical bits so obsolescence of the brand is not an issue but prefer to use the machine than fix it.

Thanks.

Paul.

I am guessing no-one has experience with these machines? Any advice on combi machines in general? Is it worth changing from my Inca and Lini tools to a combi? Will it be a decrease in quality (if I want a smaller combi-tool) since the tools I have are quite good? These are what I currently have:

http://wanderingaxeman.blogspot.no/2012/07/wood-working-powertools.html

After writing the blog article I have realized I would like my machines to take up even less space. Thoughts? Any suggestions on small combi machines to consider?

Paul.

Sorry for a late reply.....

I have this beast and like it a lot. My shop is smaller than yours and it fits in.
kombimaskin.JPG

It is a Stenberg KEV 600 probably from the 1950-ies. A 60 cm wide planer/thicknesser with a rather big table saw built into the infeed table and a full size spindle moulder built into the outfeed table. It's outer dimensions is about 1x2,4 metres. Weighs at least 1500 kilos. Professional quality in every detail.

Stenberg also made a smaller version with 300 mm capacity. They regularly turn up secondhand on http://www.blocket.se on the Swedish side of the border. I have no own experience of the smaller type but if the quality is roughly equal to mine it may be worth a try. A Stenberg 300 takes up something like 70 cm by 190 cm floor space and weighs only about 700 kilos so it is very light and compact. Maybe that would be something for you?
Often they are the same prize as newer hobbyist grade machinery. Here is one at a decent price not too far from the border: http://www.blocket.se/jamtland/Kombimas ... m?ca=2&w=3

The advantage of Stenberg and other combination machines of that type (Jonsered and Sajo) is that it can stand with it's back against a wall and all wood is fed through it along the same path whatever function you use. This means that one can make do with much less infeed space and outfeed space than you need for modern machines. Most (but not all) Stenberg parts can still be ordered from Åkesson Engineering who took over the spare parts supply from the maker.

I am not very impressed by Emcorex. I have never used one but those I have looked at seem a bit cheap. Indeed good enough for hobby use.
Elderly Luna machines with cast iron tables were made by Ejca which is a reputable Swedish maker.

Just my thoughts........

Attachments

• kombimaskin.JPG
    kombimaskin.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,113
Thanks Heimlaga. /00 kilograms is still on the heavy side however if I can leave it against a wall, then there is no need to have it light and easy to move. I have a Lini table saw that is / was made by Ejca as far as I know. I have not found any information on it but would happily have a Lini / Luna / Ejca / Sajo / Stenberg. I have to get my garage better organized since I also need to fit in a bandsaw plus metal work machines. You can never have too much space or enough machines.

Paul.

If you look at secondhand combination machines of better quality than the machines you have you will inevitably end up with a cast iron unit that you cannot move anywhere single handed. If you have a combination machine immidiately inside a garage door you will be able to open the door when planing long boards. Then you do not have to move it ever.
I do not know excactly how the market is in Norway but in Sweden there are plenty of good cast iron combination machines sold for 15000-30000 Swedish kronor. Robland are very common and said to be of decent hobbyist quality though I have no own experience of them. Mortens and Luna/Ejca appear to be a little better. At times one may stumble or a reasonably prized Felder or SCM L'Invincible which are both top quality but usually sold secondhand at the same prize level as the inferrior brands. Supposedly because most users are unaware of the differences in quality. Stenberg and Jonsered and Sajo are generally a bit cheaper than the others for some strange reason.

If you want it to stand with it's back against a wall that will restrict your ability to choose quita a bit.
Unfortunately most combination machines are intended to stand in midst of the shop and be worked from all four sides. Some elderly Felder and L'Invincible can be had against a wall because the planer is worked from the same sida as the table saw. Then there are the old style machines like Sajo and Jonsered and Stenberg which are all worked from the front. Robland and Luna/Ejca and Mortens are all built to be worked from all four sides.

Good luck!

Back