Colourful Yew Log

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneggysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a biggish yew log seasoning under my bench for 5 or 6 years. Decided this week to cut it up using my Startrite band saw with a Tuffsaw blade.

Really surprised to see the great colouring inside but equally surprised to see a nail!! Thankfully the blade (Tuffsaw ¾ inch M42) breezed through the nail, I didn't feel any change in the cutting speed.

This is the blade if anyone is interested.

3/4" - M42 Wood Cutting 2360mm - 3115mm

Got the nail out – 6 incher.

Attachments

• HPIM1634.JPG
    HPIM1634.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 59
  • HPIM1635.JPG
    HPIM1635.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 61
  • HPIM1636.JPG
    HPIM1636.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 65
  • HPIM1637.JPG
    HPIM1637.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 60
  • HPIM1638.JPG
    HPIM1638.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 61
  • HPIM1639.JPG
    HPIM1639.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 56
A nice piece of timber Like the bit on the top left of the 2nd photo It is like a bat (the flying ones)

I was cutting up a nice piece of high ash stump in the neighbour's garden a couple of years ago when I hit something - right in the very centre (about 4 ft above ground level) - turned out to be a steel wedge - someone had tried to split the stump, given up and left the wedge in place the tree had grown back to be a tall tree - luckily I was doing that bit of the cut with a hand bowsaw and felt the blade hit metal.

Still have that wedge, cleaned it up and it's useable again as a splitting wedge.

Had some from a mate who got a row of yews which were cut from along an old iron fence which the trees had grown around. The iron created some lovely purple staining in the wood.

Back