Coloured Hollow Form.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
After watching Andy Coates youtube video on colouring an Ash bowl I was very keen to have a go at the genre, I thought he made a great job of it and I also really liked the vase seen in the same video. Actually doing the colouring though is a bit trikier than it seemed on film, controling the colour is not easy, picking the colours to use and where to use them is even harder!

Nevertheless, I decided I wanted a dark Olive green / gold look and chose to do the colouring to a hollow form vase I made in Sycamore, it is spalted but it had very little markings of note so was pretty much ideal. I was pleased with the vase itself as it was only my second attempt at one of these things, the JET 1642 bringing it within my grasp!

Here than is the result

Of some interest, the log it is standing on is what it was taken from.

il_fullxfull.371703923_86l6.jpg

il_fullxfull.371693592_nuwg.jpg

il_fullxfull.371704159_55go.jpg

il_fullxfull.371693600_3ldf.jpg

Well you certainly satisfied you own remit with that one Kim, any I've tried have all turned out as mistakes, I'd say that one is far from that.

Thanks Chas and Woody, it's sort of a relief to post a pic up of something you aren't quite certain of (it looks good to me, but how does it look to anyone else?) must be a question we live with much of the time. So when you see others do in fact think it looks OK, confidence returns :)

Looks an excellent result Kim. =D>

Did you use spirit stains? & what finish have you applied over the colour.

Cheers.

Thanks Doug, yes chestnut spirit stains and finished with their finishing oil, 3 coats, dried for 24 hours and then buffed with the 3 wheel system.

Would get my vote as well , a really lovely piece . was never into coloring wood but could live with that piece .

Fantastic colour and finish.

If I was being ever so ever so picky (as if) I would like to see both the mouth and the foot smaller. I think it would then look more elegant. As ever of course, these things are in the eye of the beholder so please feel free to tell me take a long walk off a short pier :D

I really like this piece both form and finish, the colour combination just finishes off a treat. I have just started experimenting with colour and have not been happy with anything yet you have inspired me to keep trying.

Regards

Berns

Thanks again for the encouraging comments, in case anyone is interested in the way I did the colouring here is a description I did for the AWGB forum.

I wanted to end up with a dark olive green and gold look, so I initially laid on an all over coat of Yellow stain, followed patches of green and the whole then overlaid with orange, the green is a bit vivid out of the bottle and the orange helps to kill it a little and mute the intensity, leaving a nice subdued forest green colour, after that I dried the stains and then overlaid the lot with three more coats of the yellow to blend the colours and tie them all together, this is in fact a technique I have often used in Watercolour painting with very thin washes of colour.

Once the colouring was complete and dry I coated the vase with three layer of finishing oil and left it overnight to dry, buffing it through the three wheel system to a soft gloss finish

Back