Coloured filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any expereince of colouring Cataloy, Brummer, or such like to give a bright colour? I am going to rout writing on a board and fill the letters with a red or blue or yellow stopper. I wondered if anyone had done this using artists acrylic paint or similar which being water based would mix with brummer but dont know what to use with say white cataloy filler which is spirit based. I thought if I protected around the letter edges with shellac, then filled, I would not stain surrounding wood and could then sand down level. It is to make-up clocks with 'our time' and 'family (abroad) time' with a 6 hour diiference......as seen in all the best films. Any help appreciated.

I think a lot of people use epoxy with pigments for this sort of thing? I would have thought that would have looked better and lasted longer than what you suggest. Not done it myself though.

Hi there

I have experience of using Brummer stopper. Its great for filling small screw holes etc, but tends to dry out in stages and so may take a long time to stabilise for anything larger than smaller holes. Therefore I have found it shrinks over the course of a month. I would not recommend it for filling any larger spaces like recessed lettering.

Cheers
Chris

Thank you everyone. Glad I asked. I think what I will do is not 'carve' the lettering but use either transfer lettering, or even fancy writing with a pen and then seal either or with a varnish. Glad of the advice as I am now looking to do it all rather differently. Best wisihes to you all.

Back