Colour For Oak Flooring??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grain88748

Reaction score
I'm planning to lay an engineered oak floor - variable colour and unfinished. I'm not sure whether to use a clear matt/satin finish or go for a warmer colour tone such as amber/honey. Either way I'm going to use Bona or Osmo oil. Any suggestions or advice welcome.

You will get a marked difference between the matt/satin Bona and Osmo oil so do some tests first as the oil will give a richer colour than the Bona and will have a knock on affect on any stain.

J

Why not buy a small tin to test with, can't really expect to pay less than £5.99

http://www.sourcewoodfloors.co.uk/shop/ ... ctory.html

Well if you are lucky I'll put a bit of Poly-X and some Smith & Rogers Aquacote (similar to Bona) onto a bit of oak and you will be able to see how oil based finishes darken the wood far more than lacquers.

What species of oak are your boards made from so I can try and do the sample on something similar

J

Thanks for the mention JasonB. I completely agree the Bona Mega or Aquacoat XTRA are both waterbased polyurethanes which tend to make light timber go more yellow over a period of time. Osmo Polyx Hardwax Oil also will give a similar effect but as it's an oil will not last as long but it is more natural looking.

Decisions, decisions. The Osmo and Aquacoat XTRA are both available in samples and if they don't give you the colour you're after then a water based stain could be used under the osmo and Aquastain under the Aquacoat XTRA.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan
Smith & Rodger

I've ordered colour variation european oak over birch ply. Outside shoes are banned in this room so I'm wondering whether just to leave it untreated??

I think you'll need to seal it with something otherwise it will quickly pick up dust and dirt. Also, what happens if you spill something on it like wine?

Should be in the workshop tomorrow so I'll slap some onto a bit of Euro Oak.

J

Back