Colour bleeding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a desk in sycamore and ripple sycamore and while I love the whiteness of it I'm thinking that the pegs for the M&T joints on the leg/apron could look great if they contrasted eg walnut. My question therefore is that will any of the colour from the walnut leach out over time esp since the sycamore is so white. My guess is that the answer is no but it would be dull to get a call in a year's time saying that it had.

Any experience of this anyone or am I being overcautious

Thanks

Tim

I've never heard of colour seeping out between timbers except when they are still wet., and even then I'm not sure if its colour thats seeping or tanins and other chemicals within the wet timber. I always use contrasting woods in the items I've made and I've never seen anything resembling leaching of colour.

Adam

Adam

Thanks - I thought that I was being overcautious but just wanted to make sure that I hadn't just been lucky before.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

There may be some potential to get walnut dust in the sycamore grain if you intend to sand over the pegs. Might be worth testing on a couple of scraps.

Back