Collet Holder ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bug_hunter

Reaction score
First post here. Hope you guys can help me out. I'm retired and eh owner of the 1942+/- South Bend 9c. Had it for a year or so, and am teaching myself as I go. I posted this request in a few locations locally (US), but not much help. Now to the question:

I have, what I think is a SB 30mm to 3C collet adapter for a South Bend mill, 90 degree attachment. I know that a 3C collet seats nicely in the adapter, and it also has the SB set screw pockets. It came with a short draw tube. No threads anywhere on the piece but there is a dimple inside to keep the collet aligned. I would like to verify that it is indeed what I think it is. I do not own a SB Mill, nor will likely ever own one. I've attached a photo, an excerpt from a SB catalog (Collet.pdf), and some measurements. If not a South Bend adaptor, any ideas what it is for?

Any help would be appreciated,

Greg

collet.png

collet.jpg

Beyond me Andy, never played with a south bend. I'd say ask on the dedicated south bend section of practical machinist. The regular sections of PM can be a bit abrasive if they clock you as a hobbyist but the dedicated machine forums can be quite friendly and helpful.

Beyond me Andy, never played with a south bend. I'd say ask on the dedicated south bend section of practical machinist. The regular sections of PM can be a bit abrasive if they clock you as a hobbyist but the dedicated machine forums can be quite friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the thoughts. I tried there, and as you said a bit abrasive. I personally do not believe that it came from a SB, but that's what I've been told. I think the length and taper are different, but was hoping to come across someone who has a SB milling machine to verify, but no luck yet.

It's posted in several locations, perhaps someday someone will step up with an answer.

Thanks again, and hope you all have a great week!

Greg

Back