collet extension for 1/4" router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1215

Reaction score
hi, I'm quite new to woodwork machinery. I have a Lumberjack 1400watt router that has a 1/4" collet. I have the router mounted in a Clarke router table. For most operations the setup works fine but I want to do mortise and tenons on the router table, my straight cutters seem to be about 1/4" too short to do a decent depth mortise. 2 questions. 1. how much of the cutter shaft needs to be in the collet, I've been mounting them 1/8" up from the bottom of the collet, is it safe to have the cutter sticking out further. 2, I thought about purchasing a collet extension and would like advice on this please.

thanks john1215

Sorry to tell you this, but 1/4" routers are not made for this type of work, unless you are making dolls house type of structures, they are generally for trimming and freehand work, to answer your questions, the bit needs to be inserted into your collet to its full depth and then just perceptibly raised before tightening, I use a small rubber O ring in the bottom of my collet to seat the bit onto, raising the bit any further puts you in danger if it comes out of the collet and fly's around the room, IMO a collet extension is not a good idea for this type of work, you need a 1/2" Router, or a Mortiser.

Youre asking too much of a 1/4" router.
DO NOT extend the bit too far, it will bend or break and that will be a very scary moment you will remember for the rest of your life.
Some router bits have a maximum line etched into the shank. Up to that and no more.

Well, at least with all this advice you can show your OH why you need a new Router. LOL

Back