collet change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry to ask what might be a dumb question, but I am dumb? I have a Casalls router ( same as Freud 2000vce) It was supplied wit 1/2" and 1/4" collets but only one nut. Is there some special method of removing the collet from the nut, I am unable to remove the 1/2" inch one.
Thanks.

Hi stoob.
No special method, just slide the 1/4'' one inside
the 1/2'' one and do up the collet nut.
Make sure that the 1/4'' collet doesn't slide all the
way in so you can't see it.

TX

Is It a reducing sleeve, if yes then do as above.

If it is a complete collet then take the nut/collet off the router and give them a firm pull. There is a lip on most collets that engages into a recess in the nut.

Jason

Stoob, as has been said it's simply a reducing sleeve that slides inside the 1/2" collet. No need to remove anything, just drop the sleeve inside, chuck your 1/4" bit in and tighten as you would normally. Fun starts when you want to go back to 1/2" and want to pull the sleeve out. There's no lip on it and a pair of tweezers are handy. You can put a little lump of rubber or dried silicone in the collet recess to keep the sleeve from disappearing.

Noel

Cheers guys, but I don't think it's any of the above. It is not a sleeve. There appears to be what looks like a washer inside the nut but it won't come out, and I don't want to tap it too hard with a mallet just in case it is fixed. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I have no real need to do it as I have a seperate 1/4" router it just bugs me that I cant.

Hi Stoob

Why don't you spend a fiver, or so, and buy another collet nut. You can then change sizes without any hassle. :wink:

Cheers

Neil

stoobydale

Can you identify your collet type from here?

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/collets/

It may help members with advice, or you with a solution.

Edit: if you can't see it then an e-mail with make and model to this or an equivalent company may yield a solution, they do hold patterns not shown in this list, I have purchased such.

Nice one CHJ, saves me taking a piccie. The collet I have is No3, but it is inside a nut with some sort of retaining ring which I can't remove and I don't seem to be able to compress the collet enough for it to slip by. Just for reference my router is also on the list it is a "casals FT2000VCE"
Cheers.

stoobydale":1xs8ov1i said:
The collet I have is No3, but it is inside a nut with some sort of retaining ring which I can't remove and I don't seem to be able to compress the collet enough for it to slip by.

Is the circlip a plain circular wire ring with slit in it? if so then it is just a case of applying enough pressure.

However I would recommend you to get another nut as Neil says, more convenient and less hassle in the long run.

Same advice re: nut purchase e-mail company and ask if they stock a suitable nut for your model.

The No 3 is the same as my ELU 177e and most of the 1/2" Dewalts, just give it a good pull, there is no other clip or ring involved.

Jason

Try giving it a gentle tap inwards, this sometimes frees it up

HaHa! just seen the post from Neil. Would gladly just buy another nut but never been able to locate one, (and not for a fiver) will follow up the link. Thanks chaps. definitely is a retaining ring inside the nut and doesn't look like it's split anywhere. If that is the case you would think it would push out with a tap, but I don't want to risk damaging the nut.

It looks the same as on my DeWalt 625 (and the Trend chart cross refs in agreement).

To remove it do as follows...

find a suitable size hole in something that you can slip the nut/collet into and that supports the nut...with the collet through the hole...you'll need room underneath the hole for you to put your hand to catch the collet. My Workmate bench has perfect holes.

Get a piece of 1/2" dowel and a couple of inmches long...it should just fit inside the nut. Whack the dowel hard with a hammer and the collet should pop out.

Preferred route is still a separate nut/collet arrangement

Roger

Cheers Roger. Does yours have the retaining ring? Sounds more like what is needed to remove it. Think I'm going to go down the new nut route as recommended.

Cheers everyone.

Yes..it does. You will see it when you get your collet out! Check out Trends' 50 page PDF file on collets, cutters and routers..well worth a read.

Latest posts

Back