Collector, User or Both?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a Collector, User or Both?

• Collector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • User

• Both user and collector (Full blown enthusiast)

• Can I have pizza?

• None - Research purposes only

• Total voters

GazPal

Established Member
Reaction score
Plain old curiosity and recent discussions triggered the idea that many of us possibly fall into one of three main categories, so I thought I'd post a poll in the hope of sharing views.

Just to get the ball rolling for those parachutist out there.

Since rheumatoid arthritis led to my premature retirement from work as a cabinetmaker & luthier my focus has remained with woodworking on a design level, but I'm definitely finding myself sliding downhill in terms of renewed interest in hand tools. So much so that, since my son began his cabinetmaking apprenticeship and helping him gather his first set of tools, I've found myself steadily digging out a few old tools from the workshop and looking into the history behind them. I'd never thought of myself as a tool collector because I'd just pick up bits and pieces I'd need for work, but was surprised by what we had laying about in old boxes and I'm sorely tempted to begin adding to them because I find them so fascinating.

I'll never be a full-time parachutist, but wouldn't mind making a few jumps to see where the fall and landing take me. :D

Not sure I've ever bought a Tool just for its interest, it has to be usable and if it don't do what it's supposed to it usually gets binned.

I don't know if I'd find myself picking up anything other than user tools, but you never know when something may come in handy. :lol:

I think that is what draws me to older tools....Victorian and turn of the century mostly....the history.

I agree with you studders....they must be useable...but they must have some history and beauty. Brass, ebony and rosewood are my favourite materials of construction and I wouldn't give shelfroom for anything made of that latterday cast "steel" cheese rubbish and plastic.

The research and revelation of each old company and the expansion of my knowledge are on par with the fun I have in restoration and ultimate use of the tool. That is the formula for me.

Jim

I've used all my tools at least once - but for some of them I admit it was just to prove that they are sharp and usable. And some of the more interesting tools (that I would not want to part with) have not been used as much as the ordinary ones.
So I put myself in the 'both' category.

jimi43":1310peq5 said:
I wouldn't give shelfroom for anything made of that latterday cast "steel" cheese rubbish and plastic.

Jim

It's sort of what I meant by usable Jim, and the reason I look for older tools if at all possible first.
So much you buy these days just doesn't do what it's meant to do, if it does it doesn't seem to do so for very long before breaking. It really pees me off.
I used to buy Hardpoint Saws but not any more. I got so fed up with them going blunt after five minutes.
I bought some some old saws off t'Bay and got my head around the re-sharpening malarky, I won't win any prizes but did a good enough job to make them very usable.. no more wasted money.

I assume I can't get away with anything less than "Both" - although arguably "User" is stretching things at the moment. :( To be honest I think I'm more of an accumulator than a collector though - collecting suggests there's a some sort of plan/criterion/goal...

studders":667p2iih said:
jimi43":667p2iih said:
I wouldn't give shelfroom for anything made of that latterday cast "steel" cheese rubbish and plastic.

Jim

It's sort of what I meant by usable Jim, and the reason I look for older tools if at all possible first.
So much you buy these days just doesn't do what it's meant to do, if it does it doesn't seem to do so for very long before breaking. It really pees me off.
I used to buy Hardpoint Saws but not any more. I got so fed up with them going blunt after five minutes.
I bought some some old saws off t'Bay and got my head around the re-sharpening malarky, I won't win any prizes but did a good enough job to make them very usable.. no more wasted money.

Keeping a good saw tipped (Sharp) and set is far easier and cheaper in the long run than having to keep buying hardpoints. Plus, if you've a decent taper ground one, they're less likely to bind in their own kerf than hardpoints. :)

Saws were typically tipped during dinner break (Often before or after work too) and chisels re-honed whenever necessary.

When I was an apprentice I used to be like a kid in a candy shop during my weekly visits to the local tool shop on pay day, but always somehow kept to my list.

Alf":29irqqu5 said:
........ To be honest I think I'm more of an accumulator........

So....with your current collection.....can we assume you won't be able to resist being a potential collector Alf?

:oops:

Ok.....this time I really will be getting me coat!!!

:D

Jim

though i find myself buying more and more tools i never buy one unless i could see a use for it, i`ve voted in the user section. :)

it has to be said though that the definition of the word `tool` in a dictonary is `A device, such as a saw, used to perform or facilitate manual or mechanical work.` and not somthing that is stuck on a shelf to be looked at :lol:, please go easy with that comment.

I would like to think that I'm a user first but can see myself going down the slippery slope towards the collector route.

An indicator of this is watching auctions on Fleabay for items that I don't really have a need for. One day I know I'll end up bidding on one of them.

SurreyHills":1r5m1en2 said:
An indicator of this is watching auctions on Fleabay for items that I don't really have a need for. One day I know I'll end up bidding on one of them.

I've so far resisted opening a PayPal account thingy (SWMBO wears the trousers in our house :lol: ), but my old work partner is heavily into scanning for and biddiing on (Stanley) tools from E-Bay. I think he's on first name terms with the delivery lads, as they seem to be delivering to his house daily. :shock:

Not sure if I have a defined category... I take non-collectable tools on from any source in order to restore them to working condition as a hobby to share with my daughter. My interest is in cool devices and clever solutions to problems. My daughter likes to work with her hands to make the tools look nice. I should mention that she is challenged both physically and developmentally , so restoring hand tools is both safe and fun for her with my supervision. Very few fatal polishing accidents you see. I work with the tools once they are restored and she takes pride in the work she did by showing them to friends and visitors to our home. Basically we both like to play. Just where does that put us in the user or collector debates? I am sure I do not know , but having a blast anyway.
Mike

lanemaux":1mibprom said:
Not sure if I have a defined category... I take non-collectable tools on from any source in order to restore them to working condition as a hobby to share with my daughter. My interest is in cool devices and clever solutions to problems. My daughter likes to work with her hands to make the tools look nice. I should mention that she is challenged both physically and developmentally , so restoring hand tools is both safe and fun for her with my supervision. Very few fatal polishing accidents you see. I work with the tools once they are restored and she takes pride in the work she did by showing them to friends and visitors to our home. Basically we both like to play. Just where does that put us in the user or collector debates? I am sure I do not know , but having a blast anyway.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I would tend to think of you as a restorer, user, collector and your daughter is a restorer/re-finisher who gains a great deal of satisfaction from what she does. Practical skills are often the gateway to many more activities and I bet you've witnessed some heartening improvements in your daughter's development.

Sharing such positive time with your daughter is a great example of what I think all parents should try and do. It's a great way for children to learn. Regardless of if re-finishing tools, doing jig-saws, or walking the dogs, I sincerely hope you both continue enjoying your mutual past-time with many happy memories along the way. :)

User with an annoying habit of stockpiling spare tools and tool parts.....just in case......

I am poor and I am good at finding ways to repair my tools so I think my tools would scare away the more snobbish half of you, but they do good work in my hands.

Back